Recent purchase of a 1994 Regal, have some questions

W-Body Andy

Recently bought a 2 owner 1994 Buick Regal 3800. 80,000 miles, and in very good shape. I only have a few concerns (they may not even be issues). Okay first thing is the transmission makes a slight rotating noise at idle when warm. I've heard that its not super uncommon to have that noise. Second thing is my 1-2 shift feels slightly choppy at slight-medium throttle, fine at low throttle, or lots of throttle. I have already replaced the vacuum modulator for the 1-2 shift. No slipping though. Third thing is when I am accelerating onto a highway, it'll be in third with the torque converter unlocked and then itll lock up, but when it shifts into fourth the rpm will go up, and then drop down and the converter locks up. To me, it feels like the torque converter is unlocking before it shifts into 4th, and then re locking after it shifts into fourth but in the time span of like 1/4-1/2 a second. And it only does that with medium throttle. More throttle and the rpm will just drop way down (I think the converter stays locked up) Fluid looks good, some clutch material in it (as to be expected), but not burnt and doesnt smell burnt.

Changing fluid tomorrow with Max Life and a new wix filter. I feel no shuddering in any of the gears. 

I would venture to say that the trans issue could very well be the reason why you are the new *somewhat less than satisfied* owner of that vehicle. The previous owner were more than likely aware of the problem & didn't want to spend the money that the trans shop quoted them to get the trans in a 27 year old vehicle rebuilt.

It's a 1.5 vehicle, get a scanner on the trans to read in real time what the TCC solenoid circuit is doing and whether or not the lockup mechanism is responding properly to commands.

Go from there..........

Edited by 55trucker

The ign ICM should have no bearing on the ECM & it's ability to command the TTC solenoid. If the solenoid is responding in proper manner to input then one can start looking at mechanical issues with the lockup mechanism.

Edited by 55trucker

To me, it sounds like the Torque Converter is slipping. Had this almost exact problem recently on my Aztek with the 4T60E, and the Converter was the problem.

Edited by pontiac6ksteawd

5 hours ago, pontiac6ksteawd said:

To me, it sounds like the Torque Converter is slipping. Had this almost exact problem recently on my Aztek with the 4L60E, and the Converter was the problem.

Alright. What was the milage on it? And should I be concerned?

Let me preface this by saying, if it is the toque converter...

Would I be concerned? When my torque converter was slipping, it was because the vanes inside the converter were grenading. This caused some damage thru-out the transmission. Luckily we caught it when we did. If it had taken out the case, planetary, sunshell, and other things, it would have gotten expensive.

The question is, is this the problem you are having? I dont know. There are a lot of possibilities of problems. Valve body, Clutch packs, solenoids, torque converter, and???.

Out of everything in a car, I hate wiring the most.. Transmissions are a very close second. Unless you just know transmissions, which I dont, you always have to rely on a transmission shop, who always say you need a new tranny.