Coil packs.

jiggity76

The 3 individual coils are a common item, the same item has been in use going back to approx '87 on all the engines (excluding the 8's) that were distributorless to the mid 2000's.

Edited by 55trucker

Thanks 55!  Yeah, it looks like they do.  It took me awhile but I found the part #'s.  The 97 LQ1's used or can use the coil packs with part #10482928.  My 91 car has the same part # coil pack.  I just ordered 2 complete NOS sets.

Image 1 - gm-ignition-coil-10482928-genuine-gm-delphi-usa

Edited by jiggity76

When you get around to reinstalling the coils do not mismatch the pair of plug wires to each individual coil. Altho these are a *batch fired* arrangement & both sides of the coil fire, the cylinder that IS firing receives the primary discharge & the other side of the coil delivers a reversed polarity/reduced voltage to the paired cylinder that is on the valve overlap. 

11 hours ago, 55trucker said:

When you get around to reinstalling the coils do not mismatch the pair of plug wires to each individual coil. Altho these are a *batch fired* arrangement & both sides of the coil fire, the cylinder that IS firing receives the primary discharge & the other side of the coil delivers a reversed polarity/reduced voltage to the paired cylinder that is on the valve overlap. 

No, not really.

There is ONE spark pulse per coil.  It travels down one plug wire, crosses the spark plug gap.  Travels through the conductive metal engine to the other spark plug that the coil is paired with.  Jumps that plug in the reverse direction.  Travels up the plug wire where it completes it's circuit in the secondary windings of the coil.

The plug that fires in the normal direction, ALWAYS fires in the normal direction.  The plug that fires in reverse polarity ALWAYS fires in reverse polarity.  The polarity does not switch back and forth depending on whether the cylinder is firing on compression stroke or exhaust stroke.

Thus the extra-high voltage on these coils--they have to be powerful enough to fire a spark plug with reverse-polarity and still get a reliable spark-and-burn in that cylinder.

This is also why you don't install "regular" Platinum plugs in a waste-spark ignition system.  Half the plugs will have the platinum on the wrong side of the arc.  You'd need "double-Platinum" plugs for this application.

On 3/15/2021 at 11:59 PM, Schurkey said:

No, not really.

There is ONE spark pulse per coil.  It travels down one plug wire, crosses the spark plug gap.  Travels through the conductive metal engine to the other spark plug that the coil is paired with.  Jumps that plug in the reverse direction.  Travels up the plug wire where it completes it's circuit in the secondary windings of the coil.

The plug that fires in the normal direction, ALWAYS fires in the normal direction.  The plug that fires in reverse polarity ALWAYS fires in reverse polarity.  The polarity does not switch back and forth depending on whether the cylinder is firing on compression stroke or exhaust stroke.

Pardon my *advanced age & the continual brain short circuits*......must be the prescription drugs I am on for the spinal stenosis.....:dunce:

what I should've explained is that the cylinder which is on the compression stroke receives the bulk of the discharge while the cylinder on the valve overlap receives a reduced coil discharge seeing as it does not require a * full squirt*, the magnetic cam synchronizer circuit looks after that.