Stainless exhaust build

GTP091

• 1 month later...

All buttoned up. Just need to finish the install. Had a back injury for a setback, but much better now so it goes in soon.

BA299065-BEEF-4729-8FD5-F2A0F402D3AB.jpeg

590A464E-0E93-4491-8BFB-8AB30A391B06.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I’ve decided I need to add a resonator to this exhaust system before the sweepers come out for 2023…. The system sounds great but it has some cold start rasp and the drone at 2200 is getting old.  It’s not horrendous but my stereo is fighting it and is a bit of a bitch on a longer cruise.  

The exhaust system is 304 so looking to get something to match.  So far I’ve settled on the Vibrant brand. Either one or two of their performance bottles because of it’s smaller size (it’ll fit for sure) or their ultra quiet as long as it won’t be to close to the chassis. Will need to get some measurements and go from there. Borla doesn’t seem to have a 2.5” resonator in their lineup anymore so they’re look to be out of the picture here; wtf . Magnaflows are made with 409 and I want 304, it’s too late on the mufflers.  They also don’t seem to have a true resonator in their line, another wtf.  Their model 10416 is listed on their site as a resonator but everywhere else as a muffler. I’m thinking it’s a muffler disguised as a half assed resonator.  I’m wanting something that was designed for its intended purpose and tuned that way so settling on vibrant so far.  Any other suggestions?  I’m not interested in any ricer or chinese made  shit.

Edited by GTP091

7 hours ago, GTP091 said:

I’ve decided I need to add a resonator to this exhaust system  The system has some cold start rasp and the drone at 2200 is getting old.  It’s not horrendous but my stereo is fighting it and is a bit of a bitch on a longer cruise.  

LOL.....knew that was going to happen  :biggrin::D

I'm probably going to go with a Dynomax race bullet when I decide it's too loud without one.  They make another one (Ultra Flow) that's quieter and more of a resonator, but it only comes with a 6" body.  I've used a glasspack backwards before.  I guess what I'm saying is I am no help.

8 hours ago, Bake82 said:

Have you looked at Lyell's Stainless?  They are in Toronto area, and I know they make resonators.  I am just not sure if they make them from 304SS or not.    

https://www.mandrelbending.ca/

Funny you mention them. That’s where I got the mandrel bends I used to build the system.  Im sure i saw them on their site at one point but completely forgot about it. A good suggestion I will check it out.

Edited by GTP091

12 hours ago, 55trucker said:

LOL.....knew that was going to happen  :biggrin::D

Almost as much as I was waiting for your I told you so! I saw your comment stating the same earlier in this thread so here we are. :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, GTP091 said:

Funny you mention them. That’s where I got the mandrel bends I used to build the system.  Im sure i saw them on their site at one point but completely forgot about it. A good suggestion I will check it out.

409 only… looks more like I’ll stick with Vibrant.

problem I have now is clearance. I tucked everything up so neatly that there’s not much clearance.  Their ‘ultra quiet’ won’t likely fit anywhere without rebuilding a portion of the piping. Hopefully the bottles they sell will work out.  Either I get two shorty’s or one of their 18”.  

1792 or 1793.

11 hours ago, GTP091 said:

409 only… looks more like I’ll stick with Vibrant.

problem I have now is clearance. I tucked everything up so neatly that there’s not much clearance.  Their ‘ultra quiet’ won’t likely fit anywhere without rebuilding a portion of the piping. Hopefully the bottles they sell will work out.  Either I get two shorty’s or one of their 18”.  

1792 or 1793.

That's too bad!  They do say they will make custom stuff, but then I wonder if that's cost efficient vs vibrant!  Probably best to go with Vibrant.  A friend who fabs alot of exhaust swears by vibrant stuff!  

Doing more research figuring out what I want, but I'm looking at 3".  Aren't the Vibrant resonators you're listing 304? 

Not that it's an option for you, but I put one of the cheapo amazon ones on the GP in place of the stock resonator and it wasn't any louder than stock that I could notice.

• 1 month later...

Well here it is. I over researched it and ended up right back where I started. Vibrant 1793…. I’m very impressed with the build quality of the piece.  To bad it’ll be under the GTP where no one will see it.  Now for a cut, tack, and off to the tig shop.  2 weeks max for the sweepers to be done!

4D5D8757-E918-4C08-9190-15655898AB6B.jpeg

• Like 3

I'd like to see a video of how this all ends up sounding, both in-cabin at typical throttle/RPM range, and from outside as the revs are varied.
My brother just bought a '94 GP and I'm very curious.

I ended up going with a 1795 for the Prix.  I haven't finished welding it yet.  V-band side came out well, but after starting out well, I started having trouble with the 2-bolt flange side.   Should have done what you're doing and had someone TIG weld everything.

If you’re talking about the flange at the engine… that’s a bugger to get the bolts started even when it’s lined up perfect. I started the fab from the magnaflow downpipe. Cut the end off and had a shop tig the Vband flange on after tacking it on myself. I then worked from front to back. Cut for precise fit and tacked in 3 spots on each connection.  The nice thing about vbands is they allow for some adjustment.   I don’t think you could meet in the middle very easily on something like this. The spot I’m going to put the resonator in is the longest straight section of the whole system.  Even then I’ll still cut the section out, put it back on the car and tack up the resonator from underneath. 

I'm going to bolt it to the ZZP downpipe on one end and a v-band on the other.  I have a section of straight pipe in there now, but also have another cat that can bolt in and out for emissions.

• 5 weeks later...

Got the resonator back from the tig’r yesterday and put the system back together tonight.  It sounds awesome actually. Better than I was expecting. The drone is gone no cold startup rasp. It’s relatively quiet at idle. Has a low rumble under light load. And really growls when younger into the throttle. Best thing is the rumble in the cabin is gone.

Street sweepers are mostly done now so I took it for a long rip tonight. First time out!

Edited by GTP091

My stock system had two basic resonators. One in the usual spot by the tank and another where the cat should go.  I had to put the cat back in to pass out of province imspection and just like the smell of exhaust with it in rather than not.  Maybe you can put a resonator in place of the removable cat, unless it’s where the other resonator is now.  V band flanges are fantastic for quick removal.  I can’t imagine why two cats would be needed. You must have tough sniffer tests where you are.

Edited by GTP091

Well, the ZZP cat isn't very efficient, but you would think with another cat that it would be lower than that.  Probably because my tune sucks, lol.  I have the resonator where the bolt-in cat goes.  I could put another one behind it.  The front part bolts to the 2-bolt flange on the downpipe and the rear uses a v-band.

PXL_20230426_010146756.jpg

Edited by pwmin
  • Like 1