New Member with 92 Grand Prix

heineraa

Hey, I’m pretty new to the car community in general. This is my first car, bought and paid for on my own. It’s in pretty nice condition, only 116k on the clock. A pretty nice oil leak and a tire that goes flat but other than that pretty much no issues.

632A2780-BD87-457D-B650-EC5E91AC3E41.jpeg

07B6669E-3955-48DE-A5F5-FFF1C62C14A3.jpeg

C21CEB2B-10A0-4180-A73E-AA771B9DDEBA.jpeg

Looks great!   I'm curious what you paid for it, hopefully it runs well for you.    Your car has pretty low miles, so I'm guessing it was parked for a while.   Do you know any history on it?    I'd highly recommend getting the leaky tire fixed or replaced, especially if it's old.      

Cool, welcome. Am new around here myself! Had a '99 Grand Prix GT coupe which wasn't as stylish in my opinion as your earlier one but with the Series II 3800 was perhaps the most reliable car I ever had. Maybe my current Buick might take that title if I keep it long enough, though for the amount of work I've done and plan to do it probably should!

If I were you I would do it right and fix or have fixed the oil leak right rather than trying any additive crap and get some new tires. Have had good luck on SimpleTire.com; some household name brands for very good deals on there and free shipping (I don't recommend the off brands though).

On 12/10/2020 at 1:04 PM, oldmangrimes said:

Looks great!   I'm curious what you paid for it, hopefully it runs well for you.    Your car has pretty low miles, so I'm guessing it was parked for a while.   Do you know any history on it?    I'd highly recommend getting the leaky tire fixed or replaced, especially if it's old.      

I only paid 1100 for the car! The previous owner kept decent service records, it’s had 3 owners including me. I’m from Utah, and this car lived in the Salt Lake area for most of its lifetime. Driven by an older couple, they were only selling it because they had gotten a new car. I plan on getting the tire fixed here soon, just living paycheck to paycheck right now so trying to find the funds to do so is challenge (especially after Christmas gifts).

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 1:51 PM, Regal said:

Cool, welcome. Am new around here myself! Had a '99 Grand Prix GT coupe which wasn't as stylish in my opinion as your earlier one but with the Series II 3800 was perhaps the most reliable car I ever had. Maybe my current Buick might take that title if I keep it long enough, though for the amount of work I've done and plan to do it probably should!

If I were you I would do it right and fix or have fixed the oil leak right rather than trying any additive crap and get some new tires. Have had good luck on SimpleTire.com; some household name brands for very good deals on there and free shipping (I don't recommend the off brands though).

Thanks for the info! I’ll look into getting a new set of tires here soon after christmas. After some investigation, it appears the oil leak is coming from the under side somewhere on the engine so it’s gonna be a bit of a chore to find the gasket it’s coming from but I plan on doing it hopeuflly this spring.

On 12/13/2020 at 3:05 PM, GTP091 said:

Is it a 3.4 l or 3.1?  No badging so can’t tell.  Looks like there is no HUD so my guess is a 3.1?  Polish it up nice and take some more pictures. 

3.1. It’s the SE. Here’s some photos from when I washed it, and a couple from the first couple weeks  of owning.

0DDCCFD3-CB9F-4384-B7D9-E7537BB8B191.jpeg

F7F48807-261A-4BC3-A8A7-A8685BE2B018.jpeg

623C9487-2F0B-4499-A16D-DE9B13F93F2A.jpeg

8401AE2D-A815-4A1F-9E5A-F80204A33541.jpeg

On 12/13/2020 at 5:05 PM, GTP091 said:

Is it a 3.4 l or 3.1?  No badging so can’t tell.  Looks like there is no HUD so my guess is a 3.1?  Polish it up nice and take some more pictures. 

Was going to say: Must have louvers to be 3.4 then completely remembered - must have louvers to be GTP, they put the 3.4DOHC in anything back in '92, BYP, B4U, etc, etc.

Those LH0 engines sound so bad ass I really miss the one I used to have, one of the sexiest idles ever in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Breakdown said:

Those LH0 engines sound so bad ass I really miss the one I used to have, one of the sexiest idles ever in my opinion.

As I’ve had a number of LQ1s, I cannot argue that done up nicely that the 2.8/3.1 engines sound so much better. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Psych0matt said:

As I’ve had a number of LQ1s, I cannot argue that done up nicely that the 2.8/3.1 engines sound so much better. 

When I say that I love the sound of LH0's I mean, one of the best idles of any maker in the last 40 years.

I get a lot of complements from non-GM guys on the 3100 but it still pales in comparison to the old school 3.1's and 2.8's.

On 12/15/2020 at 11:53 AM, Breakdown said:

When I say that I love the sound of LH0's I mean, one of the best idles of any maker in the last 40 years.

I get a lot of complements from non-GM guys on the 3100 but it still pales in comparison to the old school 3.1's and 2.8's.

Oh yeah! I love the sound of this car. I’m thinking of swapping the mufflers for flowmasters after I get the oil leak repaired.

Save yo

On 12/17/2020 at 2:13 AM, heineraa said:

Oh yeah! I love the sound of this car. I’m thinking of swapping the mufflers for flowmasters after I get the oil leak repaired.

Save yourself some money by just cutting out your current muffler and putting in a straight pipe in its place.

It will be loud and still sound good. 

Edited by 94 olds vert
  • Like 1