New member with Regal coupe!

Regal

Glad I found this site randomly and am surprised I got this username. I have a '93 Regal Limited coupe that I've ben slowly fixing up, and it's getting real close to being buttoned up. This is my third W body car and favorite. Had another '92 like this that wasn't anywhere near as nice and a '99 Grand Prix GT (recognize the wheels?). Wondering if I can connect with anyone that has parts cars, leads for parts, info for repairs etc. Have done a lot mechanically and probably this afternoon be replacing rear pads. Have some exterior cosmetic parts coming my way now also but sourcing clips to hold trim on has been impossible.. am hoping some of the old trim clips were salvageable from this trim piece I'm getting. Am thinking of doing rear struts next and maybe the front strut cartridges eventually; am leaning toward KYB for both. With bigger wheels and others in car or stuff in trunk I need slightly more clearance in the rear which KYB complete units should provide. I also need an antenna mast, a new glove compartment door handle, and to figure out e-brake issue (I can see previous owner bought the parts but for one reason or another it's just hanging there zip tied up; may be the one thing I'll have the dealership do but not sure yet). Oh, and a vacuum line from the cruise control has cracked and needs replacement (dealer again? think they said they'd just cut a generic line) as the system won't hold vacuum but does work otherwise. It's in pretty amazing shape and runs great for a '93 with 147,700 miles or so.

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_2651.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG

It's a west coast island car and I have all of the receipts from not long after it was new. I have to say it's clear that it was better taken care of than the average car and I have tried to continue taking care of it; keeping notes and receipts and sourcing the best parts possible, whether NOS OEM or otherwise domestically/European manufactured when possible. It's definitely better than when I got it anyways. I had it by the dealership body shop the other day inquiring about the clips and the fellow said he sees 2 year old cars in much worse shape all the time, which surprised me a bit (except for that he does work in a body shop). Many are worried about cosmetic things first but on this one I have tried to worry about mechanical first. I still have one minor noise to worry about (sounds like serpentine system, have done idler pulley and belt already.. AC freon disappeared after working all summer so hoping it's not compressor pulley or something stupid) and one ball joint's sheath is torn but has otherwise given no issues.

Thanks, I'm 90% sure it is this clip pictured. The part number for sure is 10134598 (again not totally sure that's actually the part pictured below). I may have a lead on some but that won't be for a while and it would be nice to get them sooner than later as that's what could potentially hold be up from actually getting the trim on my car. Hopefully the old ones can be salvaged but I'm not sure how 30 year old brittle clips are going to hold up when that trim piece is pulled from the donor car.

608089311_Clip3.thumb.jpg.80e1371ac663eced1a73f8b1baca3f5f.jpg

1273115692_Clip1.thumb.jpg.3d05c97c813eb68e97cbf6504cff9776.jpg

703263639_Clip2.thumb.jpg.e5ab572f4f609c067478038dd293fb03.jpg

I have seen that one and the price puts it out of the question. I need 4 or 5 and would prefer a few extras on hand just in case.. the price he wants for the one with shipping to me is more than I'd be willing to pay for 10 of them. I thought of the 3D printer thing too but I don't know anyone nor have a good clip, unless I bought that one! 🙄

There is also this on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/191917868988

But he tells me the one I need is the one I posted above (he sent me those pictures). I'm not sure because my own clips are broken so it's hard to get an acuate measurement. I do somewhat wonder if the one I need is the one for sale in the batches of 10.

Edited by Regal

That looks like in functions very similar to the clips on the side trim of the Cutlass Supremes. 

That NOS part and pack of ten looks identical to me. Only way to know for sure is pull the part off the other side and see what you`re working with.

You could also post a wanted thread in the JY section more specific to what you are looking for, you never know someone might already have some or grab a few for you. I`m looking for a new bumper cover for my bro`s GAGT and I`ll keep an eye out next trip out.

Edited by rich_e777

On 12/2/2020 at 3:49 PM, Regal said:

Oh, and a vacuum line from the cruise control has cracked and needs replacement (dealer again? think they said they'd just cut a generic line)

Fix that yourself with generic line, because that's 100% what the dealer or any shop would do because it's extremely unlikely the factory line is still available at this point. Any auto parts store should carry something of a suitable diameter to splice in. Besides what they have for you to look at yourself on the shelf, they have spools of all kinds of hose in the back they'll cut to length for you.

Edited by mfewtrail
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 8:11 PM, Nas Escobar said:

Welcome to the forum.

I had an 89 at one point. Mine was a base model though BUT had a digi cluster.

Cool.. the digital clusters in these cars looked cool! I think they were gone by '93 but the analogue ones are nice as well. Also includes more info than many newer cars.

6 hours ago, Regal said:

Cool.. the digital clusters in these cars looked cool! I think they were gone by '93 but the analogue ones are nice as well. Also includes more info than many newer cars.

91 was the last year for them IIRC. 

Full instrumentation is a cool thing. Some car manufacturers dont even bother with a water temperature gauge anymore. 

I remember years ago it was said that they had many issues with them but I have owned at least one with full digital cluster and despite its age it worked pretty flawlessly for the most part. Only thing it lacked was RPM which kind of sucked but some of them could be programed to display it if one knew what they were doing. There's a few things I'd like to do now if I knew how to "hack" the computer, such as adjusting the calibration of the ABS for bigger tires. That would take a lot of specific knowledge though I'm sure; there might only be a handful of people who could do such things.

• Like 1

That was only the basic cluster. The Oldsmobile was the one with the basic digi cluster that only read fuel, speed and mileage.

The GP had issues with its needles reading innacurately.

Funny enough, the full instumentation clusters were made by Denso... of Toyota fame.

On 1/4/2021 at 9:32 PM, Regal said:

. That would take a lot of specific knowledge though I'm sure; there might only be a handful of people who could do such things.

There is a guy that was really good with GM ODB1 computers but he has sadly moved on from this platform.