Getrag 284 pull to push conversion?

carkhz316

I've seen this mentioned a few times, but when I've inquired I can't seem to discern what exactly is involved besides custom fabrication and machining. Has anyone performed this? I know things are pretty quiet around here these days, but support for the old MT is ever dwindling. I recently picked up a donor Impala SS for my LS4 swap in the Z34 and am adamant about running the 284 with it. Since the starter situation has been solved by LS4 King and Moreso, this leaves the clutch options in the balance as the last real "challenge", as it were. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Hey.

PLEASE do a build thread.  Your 284 swap thread is killer, and it would be amazing to see this swap in the same detail as your 284 swap is, from fitting into the engine bay, building the mounts and wiring!  I'd love to see this process as it's a swap I'd love to do with my cutlass but I don't need an engine right now and afraid to remove my engine to see it not fit into the engine bay.  So thank you for pioneering this into a 1/1.5 gen w-body!  However I have done some research in the past which may help you out.  

In my research for how to do an LS4 swap with manual trans (was going to use the F23 with Fiero Guru transmission starter mount bracket) I came up with this. 

- Use an LS1 flywheel and cut the diameter down to fit a 142 tooth ring (Part# Pioneer FRG-142W) on it, drill and tap the mounting holes for the pressure plate and then use whatever clutch for the trans you're using.    Apparently the stock thickness of the LS1 flywheel will work no issues with the clutch and trans.  Alternatively there was a fiero guy who got a custom flywheel from LSC performance (http://www.lscperformance.com/) to work with an F23 trans.  Since when using a F23 or getrag 282/284 with a 3800 the flywheel is the same, I think this would work. 

- you will also need to build a new support bracket for the intermediate shaft (I'm sure not an issue as you built one for the 3800/284 swap). 

Unfortunately I have no real world experience with this, but I had heavily researched this and made notes for the future before realizing the possible size limitations in the engine bay.  

Best of luck with this!  I'll be "cheering you on" from a distance!

Edited by Bake82

Thanks for the compliments man. I wasn't initially thinking of doing any kind of documenting of the swap, since it's so quiet here these days, but now that you mention it, I probably should no matter what and I think I will since it won't be a conventional swap. I will be using a P59 PCM and similar era harness so I can go back to DBC. It's not that I can't handle the wiring and integration of DBW, it's just that I don't have to so I won't. Regarding the flywheel/ clutch situation, I am considering just keeping the pull type for now unless I can find adequate info to convert to push type. My goals and plans (intake and cam) will only put me near the 400hp, which Specs Stage 3+ will hold just fine, while still being street friendly. As far as I can tell, the F23/F40 use the same pressure plate bolt pattern as the 284, and Spec already makes a 142/ LS4 flywheel, so I'll just likely order the combo from them in the correct thickness. I just need to confirm the backspacing between crank and bellhousing and compare between the 3800 and LS4. 

14 hours ago, carkhz316 said:

Thanks for the compliments man. I wasn't initially thinking of doing any kind of documenting of the swap, since it's so quiet here these days, but now that you mention it, I probably should no matter what and I think I will since it won't be a conventional swap. I will be using a P59 PCM and similar era harness so I can go back to DBC. It's not that I can't handle the wiring and integration of DBW, it's just that I don't have to so I won't. Regarding the flywheel/ clutch situation, I am considering just keeping the pull type for now unless I can find adequate info to convert to push type. My goals and plans (intake and cam) will only put me near the 400hp, which Specs Stage 3+ will hold just fine, while still being street friendly. As far as I can tell, the F23/F40 use the same pressure plate bolt pattern as the 284, and Spec already makes a 142/ LS4 flywheel, so I'll just likely order the combo from them in the correct thickness. I just need to confirm the backspacing between crank and bellhousing and compare between the 3800 and LS4. 

It would be great if you did document it.  At least a few pics/details of the custom hard parts. Also, if you'd make 2 sets or have specific details of them I'd buy a set off you, even just the cut material and I can weld it together.  

I like the DBW idea. keep it simple! 

I did not know spec made a flywheel for an LS4 with an f40.  I think the f40 flywheel is thicker than what is needed for the F23/getrag, so if they make one for the f40 they should be able to make one work with the getrag.  To note westcoastfiero has a LS4 flywheel on their website, $440.  but I'm not sure how long that will take (many Fiero guys say it takes forever!)

I see Spec makes push to pull conversions.  I wonder if they'd make anything for the 284?