4T60-HD Carnage pics

jman093

Removed my blown transmission from one of my TGP's last week. Figured I'd share. Feel free to laugh. It made a hell of a boom and a hell of a mess when it went.

IMG_5347.thumb.JPG.7fe932e19981a496c172738139eddb24.JPGIMG_5348.thumb.JPG.8b78feed226880f0f60cbb0e93d56deb.JPG

Edited by jman093
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I was cruising about 40mph and it suddenly exploded. Failure seems like it is in the area of the clutch pack assemblies. Although to be honest, it’s had major issues since before I owned it. The bad part is I can now no longer rebuild this transmission. My other TGP has been apart getting “topped swapped” and “5 speed swapped” for about 6 years now. So I’m going to take the transmission out of it and put it in this one. It’s a little disheartening going through the entire process of removing one transmission on your back and knowing you have to go do it all a second time to get the part. It’s actually a lot more work to remove on a turbo than other w-bodies.

Edited by jman093

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 12:56 PM, 55trucker said:

Try & locate another decent condition 440t4 trans?

at least you wouldn't have to tear into your *life project* right now......

Only a TGP would have an HD. Don't want to downgrade it. And I doubt anything else uses the same chain ratio and diff ratio as a TGP.

• 7 months later...

Why cant you swap the HD parts into another 4t60 case during a rebuild? The case isnt the HD part its the chain drive I think and Im not sure if they got a bigger Diff like the 4t65e-HD