92 z34

Tdogg

Hey guys,  bought a 92 z34.  It’s the 3.4 Dohc with the getrag 5 spd.  It has leaking intake gaskets.  My thought is.....anyone ever tried a 3800 sc into one of these cars?  I know how much more bulletproof the engines are

You need the following parts from a 98-99 Monte Carlo z34/ lumina ltz

• engine bay wiring harness (not 100% needed, but much easier than re-doing the full C100 connector with using the donor car harness)
  • power steering lines
  • exhaust downpipe (or have one made)
  • heater core hoses
  • if possible the alternator bracket/tensioner for the right angle heater hose connectors under alternator not 100% needed but nice to have.

5 Speed specific

• The passenger side axle hits the original oil filter adapter.
  • Need a modded Buick Reatta oil filter adapter
  • need a 98ish F-body 3800 flywheel cut down to 0.81-84 total thickness.  See FieroRog on the fiero forums, it'll run $250-300 shipped. 
  • Clutch - Spec 2+ or 3+ depending on mods to motor

Other items

• Motor and trans mounts bolt in no issues
  • Donor car rad and hoses work
  • Need a pcm tune to disable VATS and turn off some auto codes
  • Once you have the parts, pcm and the wiring harness figured out it’s drop in
  • You need to use the original subframe

The best advice I can give you for the wiring, and OBD2, is to get a factory service manual from the 98/98 monte carlo/Lumina and for your year of Z34.  You'll need to spend time ensuring each wire at the C100 connector matches from the monte carlo harness to the dash harness of the Z34.  I would say 75% of the wires will be the same, and you'll need to move or add 25% of the wires.    You will also need to run 2 wires inside the cab for the OBD port, and I ran one into the cab for the tach as well.  Not sure if that is 100% needed, but it works for me!

There used to be plenty of information out there on this swap.  I'm not sure if the old forums or posts have disappeared but this should get you going in the right direction.  Once you get working, I'm sure you'll come across specific issues, post them here and I'll do my best to help as I can.    Also search the members rides for a few recent L67 swaps (one into a GTP, one into a Cutlass) to see some of the issues and details.  For the 5 speed specific, flywheel and oil filter adapter I'd look in the powertrain section for the sticky on a 5 speed swap(I know you're not doing the 5speed swap, but gives you details on whats needed to make a Getrag 284 work with the 3800).  

Welcome to the forum.  I see you're in Ontario Canada.  Where?  I'm in Ottawa.  There are a few others around Ontario as well.  Post some pics and more details on the Z34.  

18 hours ago, White93z34 said:

Alternatively a set of intake gaskets is ~$40 :lol:

Welcome!

This.  Intake gaskets are also very quick and easy to do on the LQ1.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:06 PM, Tdogg said:

Hey guys,  bought a 92 z34.  It’s the 3.4 Dohc with the getrag 5 spd.  It has leaking intake gaskets.  My thought is.....anyone ever tried a 3800 sc into one of these cars?  I know how much more bulletproof the engines are

Sell the '92, buy a car that has a 3800 SC.

On 11/17/2020 at 8:25 AM, jiggity76 said:

WHAT!!!!

Why spend time, money, effort, and enthusiasm to wreck a DOHC car?  The guy wants a supercharged 90 degree engine...he should buy a car that has a supercharged 90 degree engine.

10 hours ago, Schurkey said:

Why spend time, money, effort, and enthusiasm to wreck a DOHC car?  The guy wants a supercharged 90 degree engine...he should buy a car that has a supercharged 90 degree engine.

That's true.  Or fix the Z and keep it stock and then add a supercharged car to his stable.  That would be ideal!

Edited by jiggity76

• 3 weeks later...

Z34 with a getrag 284 is a unicorn now.  Fix it up and put collector plates on it.  LQ1s are easy to work on once you get to know them.  The Gaskets you need are cheap and this is about an 8 beer job so not bad at all.  Youll spend more time cleaning and prep than spinning bolts.p

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, GTP091 said:

Z34 with a getrag 284 is a unicorn now.  Fix it up and put collector plates on it.  LQ1s are easy to work on once you get to know them.  The Gaskets you need are cheap and this is about an 8 beer job so not bad at all.  Youll spend more time cleaning and prep than spinning bolts.p

Well said and very much agree.

Well said gentlemen, fix that baby up and enjoy. sometimes I hate to work on mine but when I think about it, its never left me stranded. Always reliable, best car I own and it is a unicorn for sure don't see many alive today. but it dose take some patience to work on at times.