Cutlass pie alloys.

jiggity76

Does anyone have any ideas on how this "Oldsmobile" script is done?  I'm worried about not being able to replicate them come refinishing/restoration time on these beautiful alloys.  I want to make sure they can be put back again just like factory.

AFBBIU[1].jpg

KDnlPh[2].jpg

The oldsmobile script must be the matching color to the inserts on the rim. I'm not 100% sure on that but correct if I am wrong. I'm not sure how the factory would have done them. I bet you could replicate that look. 

Are you powder coating these wheels or painting them? Obviously the raw aluminum would need to be clean/polished/cleared. I'm 99% sure there is clear coat over the entire wheel even the aluminum. No matter what process of applying color you go with, there will be multiple steps involved since this is a "two tone" wheel.

My advice would be to get them powder coated.  This finish will look as good or better than the factory finish and will hold up a lot longer.  That is up to you.

For getting color inside the oldsmobile script it will have to painted or powder coated. Then the excess material will have to be removed carefully on the aluminum without marring the oldsmobile script. 

This is the reason I suggest powder coating. The color can be applied to the script and before it cured it can be removed without damaging the script giving a nice finish. I would be tempted to change the color to red or something to offset the script. I know it's nice to have it original looking again. 

https://www.powdercoatguide.com/2015/07/spraying-multiple-coats.html

Edited by 94 olds vert

1 hour ago, 94 olds vert said:

The oldsmobile script must be the matching color to the inserts on the rim. I'm not 100% sure on that but correct if I am wrong. I'm not sure how the factory would have done them. I bet you could replicate that look. 

Are you powder coating these wheels or painting them? Obviously the raw aluminum would need to be clean/polished/cleared. I'm 99% sure there is clear coat over the entire wheel even the aluminum. No matter what process of applying color you go with, there will be multiple steps involved since this is a "two tone" wheel.

My advice would be to get them powder coated.  This finish will look as good or better than the factory finish and will hold up a lot longer.  That is up to you.

For getting color inside the oldsmobile script it will have to painted or powder coated. Then the excess material will have to be removed carefully on the aluminum without marring the oldsmobile script. 

This is the reason I suggest powder coating. The color can be applied to the script and before it cured it can be removed without damaging the script giving a nice finish. I would be tempted to change the color to red or something to offset the script. I know it's nice to have it original looking again. 

Thanks Nate!  I've been told these are cast into the rim or etched.  With the refinishing process, only a few millimeters will be taken off and it shouldn't disturb the script.  Then everything will have to be recolored and cleared.  I will definitely talk to potential repair places who specialize in rim refinishing and get look at my option.  I can definitely feel the letters when I run my fingertip across them.  I don't really understand the whole etching process but I want to replicate them to as original as I can get them.  You know me, 100% original if I can get it!

Yes, I like the powder coating idea.  I know once the rims are cooked, the finish will be clear and smooth.  More importantly, the finish will be much more durable and protect the rim much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 94 olds vert said:

Here's a better shot of the script.  Too me, it looks like ordinary black paint and darker than the inserts.  What do you think?

20201108_140201[1].jpg

It just looks like black paint. It looks like they were etched in. If you were good I bet that could be hand painted and then get the entire rim cleared to protect it. It looks like the factory paint has worn away and where the paint has worn off those areas look to be etched. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bluecalais79 said:

If you are looking for a place to get these done, check out Collision Wheel in Bath, PA., they did my original 5 spokes on my 1994 CS exactly right. 

For some reason I read this as "Collision Wheel 'n Bath." in the preview and immediately thought:  This is Bed Bath & Beyond for broken cars???

10 hours ago, bluecalais79 said:

If you are looking for a place to get these done, check out Collision Wheel in Bath, PA., they did my original 5 spokes on my 1994 CS exactly right. 

Thanks!

Correct name was Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA. I see they have a set of these for sale but I am not seeing the OLDSMOBILE lettering on the photo. If you were to send these to them it might be a good idea to specify how you'd want that done.

I live in CT so I dropped my 5 spokes to them and they were done within 2 weeks. They milled the edge perfectly and the finish is holding up. I've always said wheels make the car and mine make my 94 CS really pop

13 hours ago, bluecalais79 said:

Correct name was Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA. I see they have a set of these for sale but I am not seeing the OLDSMOBILE lettering on the photo. If you were to send these to them it might be a good idea to specify how you'd want that done.

I live in CT so I dropped my 5 spokes to them and they were done within 2 weeks. They milled the edge perfectly and the finish is holding up. I've always said wheels make the car and mine make my 94 CS really pop

Thank again for the info.  It will be awhile before I get to the pretty stuff on the car.  I was just curious about when the time does come to keep or restore this very important part of the rims.  I think it's pretty cool and definitely want to keep the script.  I think it would look odd without it.

• Like 1