Assembly Line Convertibles vs Factory Conversion Convertibles

kcac

Shortly after I bought my 1995 Cutlass convertible, I learned, probably from this site, that the 90's Cutlasses were factory coupe conversions done by a third party called Cars and Customs on location at the GM plant. This thread, Reproduction Convertible Top Seals Initiative, on this forum, outlines the conversion process  at the factory and the quality (or lack of quality) of Cars and Customs' work. That got me wondering about other "factory" convertibles. It turns out another firm, American Sunroof Corporation (ASC), also turned a lot of coupes into convertibles for automakers.

When US automakers brought back convertibles in 1982 with the 1982 Chrysler LeBaron, I thought manufacturers were designing convertibles from the ground up - I guess not. I wonder which, if any, post 1982 convertibles were assembly line convertibles, and not coupe conversions.

Edited by kcac

not sure to be totally honest. I'd guess Chrysler did it themselves with the Sebring and Probably GM with the 4g F body. Don't quote me on any of that, just wild guesses to be honest. 

as for the lack of quality.... lol that was name of the game then. 80s custom cars were a real shit show. Ask any GNX owner to see inside the rear wheel arches, its a mess. I've never seen 2 Turbo Grand Prix that were exactly the same either, they were factory hack jobs by ASC. It was the wild west then. Pop rivets, self tapping screws and cut body structures lol

• Like 1

A little related to this, a little related to the convertible seals discussion (where you asked the Doraville people questions) --- At my site I have some photos of Doraville plant, interesting to see - I've yet to get any 90's Cutlass's being produced.
http://www.outrightolds.com/story-of-olds/olds-factories-plants#doraville

On 11/9/2020 at 2:15 PM, sean1991olds said:

At my site I have some photos of Doraville plant, interesting to see

Really nice job on your Olds website and thanks for the link to the pictures. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kcac said:

Really nice job on your Olds website and thanks for the link to the pictures. 

Thanks!- yeah I try to keep adding to it, I have more material than I have time to add in!

On 11/9/2020 at 7:42 PM, White93z34 said:

Those are cool pictures.

I swear I used to have some pictures I took of the plant years back when I was down there.

That'd be cool if you found em!