Do You Use This Front Lift Point?

kcac

• kcac changed the title to Do You Use This Front Lift Point?
36 minutes ago, mfewtrail said:

On cars with ground clearance, yeah I use the center of the subframe to lift the front end when using a floor jack.

Same here - if I'm using my 3 ton Craftsman floor jack to lift the car, that I swear weighs more than my full-size Intrigue 🙂

Not my jack, but similar.  (Imho, the jack below is to nicey nicey to have ever been used as a real jack.  🙂)

IMG_0277.jpg

Btw, imho, the common floor jacks now aren't that wide, and cars can tilt on the jack, if the cars are lifted from the center (either the front or back), and something unexpected, like a dust particle <roll eyes>, lands on the side of the car.
Also, I often lift from an asphalt surface.  So, I'm not jacking the car up from a perfectly flat and smooth concrete floor.

Edited by Cutlass350

The front lift point worked OK for me. What about lifting vehicles (w-body or not) from pinch welds?  I've seen adapters for floor jacks pads to allow them to work on the pinch weld jack points. Basically a hockey puck that has been slotted, or metal piece with a slot. Has anybody tried those adapters and if so, how did they work out? 

19 hours ago, kcac said:

The front lift point worked OK for me. What about lifting vehicles (w-body or not) from pinch welds?  I've seen adapters for floor jacks pads to allow them to work on the pinch weld jack points. Basically a hockey puck that has been slotted, or metal piece with a slot. Has anybody tried those adapters and if so, how did they work out? 

The pinch point adapters work just fine to prevent damage to the pinch points when using a floor jack.  I need to order a new rubber one as it's seen better days after a couple of years of use...

I never use the pinch welds as a lifting point but instead rely on the front subframe or the rear axle lift pad.  I also have these really nice jack stand cushions.  Very happy with how they provide some protection when supporting the International at the pinch weld points.

20200523_152958[1].jpg20200523_153018[1].jpg20200523_153156[1].jpg20200523_152931[1].jpg

Edited by jiggity76
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

many more solid points underneath when jacking from the side, Never use a floor jack on pinch welds unless you have the adaptor to spread the load. and only jack it at the reinforced parts with the notch if you do another trip for the pinch welds if you dont want to buy the adaptor is cut a 2x4 with a slit along the length that the pinch weld will sit into and rest on the bottom of the cut. and not rest the rockers on the board. 

Edited by Jim_rockford_007

• 8 months later...