Windshield Washer Motor not working - electrical issue

quakerj

My washer pump hasn't been working in my '96 Grand Prix.  I bought a replacement at the junkyard (good condition one) and it didn't work.  I chalked it up to bad luck / crap junkyard part, so I went and bought a new one.  The washer still doesn't work.  The wipers do their thing when I turn the stalk to wash, so evidently the control on the stalk works, but no spray.  I'm not getting any juice at the electrical connector.  I can't find a fuse labeled for windshield washer specifically, does anyone know what circuit this runs on, or other steps I should take to diagnose?

One other question, when I bought this car it had no rear view mirror, previous owner had some sub wiring, so it must have rattled off.  There's an electrical connector in that location that must have gone to the rearview mirror.  What is that connector for?  I'd like to know so I can buy the appropriate rearview at the junkyard.  Any tips for attaching it securely?

Fuse # 29 powers the windshield wiper motor and the washer pump is powered from the wiper motor.

If your wipers are working then fuse # 29 is good and the washer problem is some where inbetween.

My '92 Lumina had a non-functional washer pump.

I went crazy trying to figure out what was wrong.  Turned out to be the circuit board for the wiper motor.  The electrical power for the washer goes through the wiper board, and the wiper board failed.  At least at that time, I could buy replacement wiper motors...but the circuit board wasn't included and wasn't available.  Treasure-Yard Only.

While I'm sure it's POSSIBLE, I was not prepared to do board-level circuit repairs beyond re-flowing solder connections; and I didn't see any failed solder connections because the board was covered in Conformal, a weather-proofing plastic material.  Off to the Treasure Yard I went.

Note:  I HAVE fixed cruise-control and heater-control circuit boards by re-flowing solder.  It's a fairly common failure and takes little more than good eyes and a soldering iron to fix...if they haven't filled the board with Surface Mount Devices and then dipped it in plastic.

That was when I discovered that the wiper transmission was different between the first-Gen W-body and the later ones.  The later-gen transmission can almost be installed, but the wipers don't swing where they should.

GM screwed the pooch on that deal.

Edited by Schurkey

6 hours ago, Schurkey said:

My '92 Lumina had a non-functional washer pump.

I went crazy trying to figure out what was wrong.  Turned out to be the circuit board for the wiper motor.  The electrical power for the washer goes through the wiper board, and the wiper board failed.  At least at that time, I could buy replacement wiper motors...but the circuit board wasn't included and wasn't available.  Treasure-Yard Only.

Where can I find this wiper circuit board you speak of?

Do I have to pull the cowl to get to the wiper motors? If so can you explain how to remove it?  I don't see them in the traditional location on the firewall.