New catalytic converter

olds65

Hi guys. Looking to get a new cat. I would like to get a direct fit. Basically as factory as possible. It is a 3.1 with the dual exhaust. Any recommendations?

thanks!

a Magnaflow 94000 universal series piece, not because I push them but they have an extensive selection to choose from, and they are reasonably priced.

As for *direct fit*...that's a bit of a play on words.  the cat still has to be welded into place....

can't recall if the downpipe on the smaller 3.1 is 2" or 2 1/4"

http://europe.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/universal/universalcat.asp?parttype=UNIVERSAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER&partnum=940

Edited by 55trucker

6 hours ago, 55trucker said:

a Magnaflow 94000 universal series piece, not because I push them but they have an extensive selection to choose from, and they are reasonably priced.

As for *direct fit*...that's a bit of a play on words.  the cat still has to be welded into place....

can't recall if the downpipe on the smaller 3.1 is 2" or 2 1/4"

http://europe.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/universal/universalcat.asp?parttype=UNIVERSAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER&partnum=940

I wasn't aware they needed to be welded in place.  That's good to know as the STE might need one eventually.  Thanks 55!

Good God man! I paid about $200 for a high flow Magnaflow converter with a downpipe 3 years ago through AutoZone, 

Do you have emissions testing to warrant the expense of putting one on in Wisconsin? Guys around here get antique plate put on the early 90`s imports so they dont have to go through the annual testing, police dont enforce the restrictions on the plates either.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

1995 and older vehicles are exempt from emission testing in Wisconsin. Maybe keeping a converter installed ensures no problems with the computer or drivability. 

If you have no 2nd O2 sensor after the Cat converter then the computer will never "know" the converter is missing. In fact a cat-less 1994 3100 runs absolutely beautiful with more glorious noise than it has a right to. 

Well I am asking because my cat is clogged and wondering if I should just replace it or get rid of it. I want the exhaust to sound the same. Would cat-less make it loud?

If theres nothing else behind the converter then yes, but mine was hacked off and stolen in this case.

Do they test your emissions on that car with a sniffer in your state? If no then cut the cat off, drill out the center section and re-install it. Or they also sell some stuff off the shelf you can put in your gas, I dont know if it works but you`ve got an opportunity to try. Cata-Kleen or something like that.

I don’t get emissions tests on it. But I definitely have to do something. It feels like I am towing from a start. Once cruising it is fine. Just feel like it is working extra hard

If the cat is truly clogged the engine may idle in a somewhat normal manner but as soon as you get on the gas the engine will stumble,perhaps stall, severity depends on how badly the restriction is.

One gets under the car & with a ball pein hammer give the cat a few raps, if you hear material rattling around inside it has suffered a meltdown. but that doesn't answer the reason why the cat has failed, it is usually due to a problem upstream, they generally don't fail for no good reason.

10 hours ago, olds65 said:

Well I am asking because my cat is clogged and wondering if I should just replace it or get rid of it. I want the exhaust to sound the same. Would cat-less make it loud?

It will smell like ass if anyone's following you.

Incase you are not aware,  as long as the material is inside the cat, it may bring very good money from a scrap guy!  If you can find some numbers on it, you should post it on local craigslist or facebook group and see what offers you get.  You might be pleasantly surprised what it'll bring!  ie. may be more than your new replacement :)