Hello from 89 Olds Cutlass Supreme owner

WoodyUSSLUCE

Hello everyone I have an 89 Olds Cutlass Supreme  with just under 274, 000 miles on it. It is a good car but does need some repairs on it. I am the 2nd owner and I have put over 150,000 miles on it myself. It has been a reliable car and has been well cared for. I think with me doing some repairs it can still go for many more miles.

• Like 4

Don't worry about the paint, everyone knows white cars from that era had bad paint.   The 274,000 miles is very impressive!   One of the highest mileage cars on here.   I hope it makes it to 300k.   We'd be interested to hear what you had to fix/replace in the last 150k.   Is it still running?   You said it needed "some repairs".   

• Like 2

On 10/6/2020 at 12:36 PM, oldmangrimes said:

Don't worry about the paint, everyone knows white cars from that era had bad paint.   The 274,000 miles is very impressive!   One of the highest mileage cars on here.   I hope it makes it to 300k.   We'd be interested to hear what you had to fix/replace in the last 150k.   Is it still running?   You said it needed "some repairs".   

Ugh! Don't get me started on GM's white paint from the '90s and early 2000s. My understanding from someone on another forum who worked in a GM assembly plant in that era was that the problem was more with the primer than with the paint. The supplier apparently changed the formulation of the primer and advised GM to allow extra drying time before applying the paint. Of course, GM, in its infinite wisdom, ignored that advice and painted the cars prematurely, leading to adhesion problems later on.

About ten years ago, I got a white '95 Pontiac Bonneville that had paint peeling off the quarter panels, doors and trunk lid but was otherwise in great shape. Oddly enough the largest horizontal surfaces, the hood and roof, were good. It gave me a nice excuse to practice my sanding and rattle can painting skills on the doors and quarter panels and I made them look okay, at least from about 50 feet away, but the rear deck lid was a lost cause. There was more primer showing than paint. But one day I was at a junk yard, harvesting parts for it and while I was pulling a power antenna off of a '92 Bonneville with near perfect paint, I got the bright idea to buy the deck lid and put it on my car. It was the best $27 I ever spent on that car. I repeated that move a couple of months ago with my friend's 2001 Pontiac Montana minivan it became an opportunity to teach her 10-year-old daughter how to use a socket wrench. She had quite the sense of accomplishment when we finished the project.

Edited by Human
  • Like 2

On 10/6/2020 at 12:36 PM, oldmangrimes said:

I don't want to brag on it too much because it might start giving me problems if I do that. I have replaced plugs and wires  twice, a couple of ignition coils, rear struts,RR brake caliper,water pump, air and fuel filters a couple of times,fuel pump twice and just replaced the PS pump because the front seal was leaking. That is all that I can remember for right now other than normal wear items like brake pads, tires and serpentine belt a couple of times in the last 150,000 miles. It had a little over 100,000 miles on it when I bought it from the original owner for $500. It still runs good with no major repairs on engine or transmission so far.I have kept the transmission fluid changed on a regular basis and also replaced the radiator petcock and low coolant sensor. I am looking for a source for the front subframe bushings to install now before I put it back on the road again. I recently replaced both outside door handles and have to get them adjusted properly. The original owner had to replace a driver's side door hinge before I got it and a cooling fan motor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...