Convertible Top Care

olds65

Hey guys. 

Just seeing what you guys do to clean and maintain your convertible tops. I have a black top. What you do to clean and maybe for UV protection. I know the sun is a killer. Any tips and what products do you guys use that is safe for the top. 

Thanks!

I replaced my top about three years ago, since then I've used the Blue Magic (from Amazon) cleaner/protectant on my black top.   Rain still seems to bead up well on the top, but I don't know if that's because of the product or not. I've used various cleaners/protectants on my old top and on two previous convertibles, but I didn't notice a big difference between them.   The spray type is a little easier to apply, but you have to be careful to keep it off the glass.   I only use the special cleaner/protectant maybe three times a year, so the bottle lasts a while.   I live in the cloudy, rainy part of Oregon so I don't get a lot of UV damage to the top, in fact the last couple weeks it's been forest fire ash and smoke that turned it kinda brownish.   But I've been able to clean off the ash ok, and any bird crap over the years, so I think using a protectant/cleaner is helping.   But the best protectant from UV is  . . . avoiding the UV in the first place.    After I replaced my top, I bought a car cover and use it when I can (it's a bit of a hassle).    I also try to park in our one-car garage more often.

Thanks for the response. Do you use that blue magic cleaner/protectant everytime you clean it? Or can you even use just a regular car wash to clean the top? I feel it has attracted dirt/dust and needs a good scrub. I would like to then get that cleaner/protectant afterwards. Would that be a good idea?

I don't use the special protectant/cleaner every time I wash it, I only use it a few times a year.   I think that's what they say on the instructions, too, but it may be different for other products.      I use the regular car wash/wax combo on the top for my regular car washes.   I don't have a special brush for the top, I just use a regular wash mitt.    But here's some advice from a google search:

https://www.autogeek.net/covtopplas.html#

• 2 weeks later...

Ragg Topp Cleaner with a soft brush and Ragg Topp Vinyl Protectant after. The car is garaged and doesn't really see much weather, so I don't have to use these products very often.

Edited by kcac
  • Like 1

Thank you for the responses guys! I ended up ordering the RaggTopp kit. I just got it but unfortunately it decided to rain this weekend. I will get after it next weekend hopefully. I want to keep it tip top as much as possible!

First of all, I park the car under a carport and keep it covered when not in use. To actually clean the top, I periodically wipe it down with a damp cloth and then spray it liberally with Armor-All or some similar protectant. The staples holding the top in at the back have all pulled loose and when I took it to a trim shop, the guy said the top has begun to shrink and will eventually need to be replaced. I was thinking of doing that this winter but an unexpected transmission rebuild last month has derailed that idea.

Meguires makes a Convertible top cleaner but I`ve not used it personally, a guy with a Vette recommended it. He also used a semi-soft plastic brush to take care of anything solid then just sprayed it off.