225/65/16 on a 2000 Grand Prix?

carkhz316

Just like the title says, I'm wondering if the above size will fit without spacers on stock polished 5 spokes or steels? I have tried searching to no avail. The 225/60 indicates to be a 26.7 inch tire diameter, vs 27.6 on the '65 series tire. I have stuck my fingers in between the strut and the tire and there is about 5/8 inch gap on the front, but less than half at the back. I do have spacers I can use, but figured I ask here.

The 225/60 is the default tire size for the GP, if you're looking for a *narrower* tire you don't want another 225, you want a 215, altering the tire sidewall height doesn't narrow the tire width.

Why would you be having an issue with the default tire size? Have the front & rear wheel camber angles been altered to dial in more negative camber?

Thanks for the quick reply. The reason I ask is because I found a stellar deal on a set of tires for the above size. I have no desire to alter from stock 225/60, but since I don't care about the speedo being off and whatnot, that's why I was asking. This Grand Prix is my winter beater/ DD and am just being frugal with it. I figured a little taller tire wasn't going to hurt anything as long as it cleared the struts. I hope that makes sense.

Edited by carkhz316

Will the taller/wider tire hit the front wheel well liner on sharp turns, or the fender lip?   Turning in and out of a driveway or parking lot is where you'll often reach the limits of the suspension. To test, maybe turn the wheels to full lock, sit on the fender above the wheel and bounce up and down and see how close the gap is to the tire.    Also, by putting on a 1" taller tire, you're putting a 1/2" lift on a Grand Prix, it will affect handling.   It'll look a little funny, too, but you may not care about that.  I totally understand about the frugal part of your decision.    I've put larger diameter tires on two of my SUVs because better tires were far cheaper at the larger size, and driven 100k+ miles with larger tires with no problem.    But SUVs have more clearance in the wheel well than a passenger car.   If you've got a fixed amount of money to spend, and your choices come down to iffy tires in the 225/60 size and nice new tires in the 225/65 size, the handling compromises may be offset by the improved traction and braking of the better tire.   But you could also put on 215/60 tires, they are closer in size to the 225/60, and slightly smaller so they'll fit fine, they may be cheaper too.    It's a risk analysis, and only you can weigh the risks.    The rest of the world votes for you to put the safest tire on your car, to avoid getting into an accident with us.    Keep shopping, get the best tire you can for your money.   Tires are super super important.   

15 hours ago, carkhz316 said:

Thanks for the quick reply. The reason I ask is because I found a stellar deal on a set of tires for the above size. I have no desire to alter from stock 225/60, but since I don't care about the speedo being off and whatnot, that's why I was asking. This Grand Prix is my winter beater/ DD and am just being frugal with it. I figured a little taller tire wasn't going to hurt anything as long as it cleared the struts. I hope that makes sense.

One of the things you'll have to keep in mind if you do use those tires is that your speedometer and odometer will have to be adjusted, otherwise they'll be slightly off. You might be able to barely get away with those tires, but you'll definitely be risking the wheel hitting the body of the car on very hard bumps and while turning.

Aren't GM cars designed for tire-chain clearance?  Everything but Corvette and maybe some other "specialty" vehicles, anyway.

I was screwed by California DOT on I-80 at Truckee, CA, years ago.  The prick wouldn't allow me back onto the highway without tire chains.  Had to buy tire chains at a local store.  It's a damned racket--the road was wet with melting snow  but there wasn't any actual snow or ice.  It's just a way to fleece the traveler.  My vehicle had "Mud/Snow" rated tires on all four corners, and the town I lived in had more snow than the ZERO snow that was on I-80.

Anyway, my '92 Lumina Euro 3.4 clanked and rattled about half-way down to Sacramento, with the chains flailing.

I can't imagine another half-inch of tire would take up more room than tire chains.

t

Edited by Schurkey

Thanks for the replies guys. I have means by which to reflash tire size settings in the PC, so not too worried there. I'm not a spirited driver either, and with winter coming up (most of the reason I bought the car in the first place) I'm not going anywhere quickly anyway. The tires I'm looking at are brand new tires on Tire Rack, so in case anyone was wondering that I was going to be putting some bald dry rotted things on it. I absolutely believe in tires being one of the most important things on a car, hence why I'm willing to spend $500 in tires on a $400 car (which is what I actually paid for it w/ 300k miles from original owner). Everything I've measured will clear, save for most likely the rear strut perch, but a .25" spacer will solve things it seems.

Edited by carkhz316

$500?   You can buy a new set of 225/60/16 easily for only $400, and you're still less than $500 installed.   Buy them at Walmart.com, it's cheaper than other places, they deliver to your local store in a day or two, then take them to a good tire shop for installation.   That's what I did with my Cooper CS5, and they've been great for me (and American made, too!).      You can even get a set of lower-end all-seasons for $300, and you're less than $400 installed.   If you're only keeping the car for a year or two, you could buy good used tires for $300 installed.     

But anyway, post pictures after you buy your tires, so we can see how the larger tires fit.   

I said I was willing to spend $500 dollars, not that I was actually going to pay that much. For clarification, Tire Rack has a set of Blizzak WS80s on clearance for ~$70/ tire, as opposed to the average price of $110 each (for a variety of sizes). Since I live near one of the warehouses, I am able to knock $40 off per set to pick them up. Coupled with a current $80 rebate, I was able to buy them for $181 with tax. I'll post pictures when the snow flies later this year. 

Edited by carkhz316
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

For those wondering, they fit just fine. Fronts have plenty of room, about 1/2" and the rear has about 3/16". It's all moot because I acquired a different beater, 2006 Monte Carlo, and they're going to go on that and the GP is going away.

20201013_112501.jpg

20201016_164334.jpg

20201016_164432.jpg

• Like 1