Electric Side Mirror Maintenance?

ron350

Does any one know if there is any kind of maintenance for electric side mirrors?

Today I attempted to adjust my passenger’s side electric mirror and it would not move. I had to open the passenger’s side window and push on the mirror while moving the switch. It finally started moving but seamed sluggish.

Found out there are 3 screws holding the mirror and motor assembly in the housing. Removed the screws and was able to slide the mirror assembly far enough out of the housing to let me clean all of the dust and dirt of every thing. Used a tooth brush on the 2 screws that move the mirror to get the threads cleaned off.

After cleaning I put one drop of 10W30 oil on each plastic adjusting screw and operated the mirror back and forth and up and down several times. This seams to have helped so I wiped any excess oil off the plastic screws and put the mirror back in the housing.

I don’t know if I should of used oil on the plastic screws but I guess I will find out sooner or later.

The picture is of the 2 plastic screws after cleaning and oiling.

Side Mirror 004A.JPG

Edited by ron350
  • Like 1

I have a similar issue with the driver's side mirror on my '95 CS convertible. It will move up and down but not in and out. I haven 't taken the time to trace it out  but I've heard there's a possibility, especially as cars age, that wires can break where they flex going between the body of the car and the door. I had this happen with the window and door lock controls on an Olds Aurora I used to have. You don't mention in your post whether your mirror is now operating normally since you did the cleaning and lubrication. If so, then broken wires are not the problem. Otherwise, it might be worth a check.

Both mirrors are now working like new on this 96 Regal.

I wish I had taken more pictures but did not plan on sliding the motor assembly out of the housing. The wires are just long enough for the mirror-motor assembly to clear the opening of the housing allowing me to clean every thing.

I forgot to say don’t attempt this unless you use something to protect the surface reflector mirror.

The factory used 3 #8 x 5/8 inch long Phillips head tin screws to hold the mirror assembly in the housing. These screws were brown with rust so I replace them with #8 x ½ inch stainless screws from Ace hardware.

Side Mirror 008A.JPG

Edited by ron350