New convertible top advise

Ric

I just had a new (stock-like) top put on my '93 and it looks pretty good. As advised by the shop I kept the top up and let it break in for about 2 weeks (in very hot summer weather) before putting it down. My problem is that when I put it back up I had a heck-of-a-time getting the drivers side latched. I basically had to stand on it to finally latch it. The passenger side was only a little bit easier. NOT much fun, and not very convenient if putting it up needs to be done in a hurry. 

Does anyone have some advise or thoughts for what could help? Will it loosen/stretch with time? I've got a message with the vert top shop that put it on but no reply yet.

I replaced my top myself a couple years ago.   I didn't do a break-in period, maybe I should have, I ended up pulling the staples out of the rear and had to redo them.   Anyway, the metal hooks on the latches are threaded, maybe you can simply unscrew them a little to allow the top to latch a little easier?   I don't remember if there is any adjustment in the side cables, but I've still got my installation instruction manual in my garage, I'll try to find it tonight and see what it says about the latches and cables.   Post an update on here if you get your problem fixed.   

I have the same issue with mine. It's almost impossible to latch the driver's side if the windows are up. I find it's easier to latch, actually no problem at all, if the windows are down. I'm going to have to replace the top on mine at some point. All of the staples are out in the rear.

• 1 month later...

Hi Oldmangrimes and Human, sorry it took so long to get back to you but things are going better now with the top. Thanks for reply. 
Do you happen to know where I can download a pdf copy of the Cutlass Supreme convertible supplement(s)?