Oil Level Sender & Coolant Level Sender Questions

quakerj

I have a 96 Grand Prix and last time I changed the oil, just for grins I turned the ignition on (engine off) and didn't see a low oil level indicator light anywhere on the dash despite there being no oil in the sump.  I've read about / seen the sensor in the oil pan.  How does the level sender work, is it only when the engine is running, or should I expect to see it when I have the engine off?

Also the low coolant light on my dash comes on and off periodically despite there being ample coolant in the system and overflow tank level is where it should be.  Is this likely just a failed sensor, and how hard is this to replace?

I would imagine there is some delay for the oil level sensor (to accommodate situations where the car might be parked on incline or something). I don't know this for sure, but it makes sense to me.

As for the coolant level sensor, it's on the side of the radiator and they are notoriously flaky. I've had them unplugged on every W car.

10 hours ago, digitaloutsider said:

I would imagine there is some delay for the oil level sensor (to accommodate situations where the car might be parked on incline or something). I don't know this for sure, but it makes sense to me.

As for the coolant level sensor, it's on the side of the radiator and they are notoriously flaky. I've had them unplugged on every W car.

Is this what the coolant level sensor plug looks like?  It was just hanging between the rad support and header panel on the STE.  I think it's the connector.

20200608_074639.jpg

20200608_074626.jpg

20200608_074613.jpg

20200608_074530.jpg

Edited by jiggity76

That looks like the *Hood Ajar* sensor, the STE's have a sensor that displays on the DIC screen when the hood is open.

You found that on the forward side of the rad header?

Coolant level sensors are usually on the radiator on the side not far from the fill neck. Has a funny sort of clip that attaches to the radiator instead of bolts or screws. Both my Supremes have a similar sensor in your pic around that same location and I was thinking it was for the airbag for some reason. Neither have a DIC, and are both female, so would that sensor still be on a non DIC car? No "Hood Ajar" lights on the instrument cluster either.

Edited by rich_e777

6 hours ago, rich_e777 said:

Coolant level sensors are usually on the radiator on the side not far from the fill neck. Has a funny sort of clip that attaches to the radiator instead of bolts or screws. Both my Supremes have a similar sensor in your pic around that same location and I was thinking it was for the airbag for some reason. Neither have a DIC, and are both female, so would that sensor still be on a non DIC car? No "Hood Ajar" lights on the instrument cluster either.

My Cutlass doesn't have this feature.  There is a sensor on the hood latch of the STE, I'll take pics of it today.  Like what 55trucker said, I bet this harness is suppose to be connected to it.

Edited by jiggity76

Thanks to 55trucker!  Yup, that's what it is.  The underhood light and hood ajar sensor.  My 91 CS does'nt have this feature.

Cleaned it up and reconnected it.  Still won't work though.  A previous hack job has cut the wires going to the sensors harness.  Yet another thing I have yet to fix due to someone else's laziness or whatever.  I ordered a new sensor just in case this one won't work when powered up.

20200610_113333.jpg

20200610_113330.jpg

20200610_113707.jpg

20200610_113734.jpg

Nice little addition, nuisance when one continually sees  *hood ajar*, *hood ajar*, *hood ajar*. Personally  I can see if the hood isn't latched from the driver's seat.

23 minutes ago, 55trucker said:

Nice little addition, nuisance when one continually sees  *hood ajar*, *hood ajar*, *hood ajar*. Personally  I can see if the hood isn't latched from the driver's seat.

LOL, I'm hoping it will work correctly.  If not, I'll see if my new one will.  I hope so.  I'm guessing the owners unhooked it because of that exact reason.

Hopefully this is the same reason why my underhood lamp isn't working.

Edited by jiggity76