What is this?

jiggity76

This clear plastic block is a light of some kind?  It was underneath the door switches behind the interior door panel in my STE's drivers door.  I'm assuming the switches have their own backlighting?  Looks like it has a little bulb and plugs into the harness.

20200607_102732.jpg

20200607_093010.jpg

30 minutes ago, Psych0matt said:

Looks like the little light distribution thingy for the keyhole ring.

I just figured it out!  I overlooked it but it's some sort of diffuser.  Some guys on FB helped me out.  Since it was laying on top of the door switch harness, I wasn't sure where it was suppose to go.  The tabs on the pwr mirror switch are broken, that's why it was just flopping around.  Thank God it didn't fall down into the door as I would have never known about it.  Now I have to find a new switch and possibly a new diffuser.  Yay!

20200607_152857.jpg

20200607_152945.jpg

20200607_152904.jpg

Just found a really nice used switch on Ebay.  It has all the switches including the diffuser and pwr mirror.  There are no NOS ones available.  There are two part #'s for two different options.  Part # 10063001 which is this one has the little locking tabs and position tab molded into the switch wall plastic for the diffuser.  Part # 10063000 doesn't have those features and therefor won't hold the diffuser.  Interesting.  Such a small little detail.

s-l1600.jpg

You can see the diffuser to the left next to the pwr mirror switch.  The connector for it is the blue one all the way to the right in the pic.

s-l1600.jpg

P. sure that switch panel is broken. If I'm remembering right, it's supposed to have a little inset part of the screw hole where the head of the screw fits down into. Over the years people usually just put small washers on there, but it's not perfect if that's what you're going for. Unless I'm completely 100% misremembering it.

On 6/7/2020 at 8:04 PM, digitaloutsider said:

P. sure that switch panel is broken. If I'm remembering right, it's supposed to have a little inset part of the screw hole where the head of the screw fits down into. Over the years people usually just put small washers on there, but it's not perfect if that's what you're going for. Unless I'm completely 100% misremembering it.

Nope, you are correct.  I'm going to see if I can fix it and look for good ones on my junkyard excursions.

15 minutes ago, rockfangd said:

Wow. Thats a lucky find

Thanks man!  Now if I could just get my speaker grills figured out, I would be set.  I think at this point, 3D printing them is my only choice.  Thankfully the rear door switch bezels are still good, no broken screw towers.

2 hours ago, 55trucker said:

I'm surprised that you could actually find any of those in NOS pieces.

The part numbers for them that's in my book and on the back of them come up as an unknown number.  I used a web search to find a good number and then searched from there.  Yes, definitely happy to find them.  My originals weren't even tightened down anymore.