Best place for jack stands on the rear end

pbender

Hello All, 

I'm working on my Cutlass again ( see:

)

The next project is to make it roll.  For that I'm trying to get all for wheels off the ground and each corner on a jack stand

I have the front end up on stands now, but it occurred to me that I don't think in the 20+ years I've owned this car that I

have ever had the rear end up on jack stands, so two questions:

1) is there somewhere safe to jack up the whole rear end of the car, or should I do one corner at a time

2) Where is the best place to put the stands?  I may have the car up on the stands for a few weeks, since I can

only work an hour or so at a time, i.e. stability is critical.

Thanks,

Paul

Absolutely!  There is a metal jack plate at the very center of the rear axle, engine side of the exhaust pipe.

The stands will go in front of the rear wheels at the pinch weld where the box section reinforces the trailing arm mounts.  If you have rubber pads for your stands, that would be ideal.  Here's the setup on my coupe.

20200523_153156.jpg

20200523_153018.jpg

20200523_152958.jpg

Edited by jiggity76

You can see the flat metal plate in this pic on the front side of the exhaust.  That's your jack point, one of them anyways.  I put my floor jack right on it.  You can also use the afformentioned pinch weld points to jack the car up but I prefer this spot personally.

20200528_184124.jpg

Edited by jiggity76

In NY there is no safe jacking point😪

Get a flat and try to jack up by the jacking point, Crunch there goes the rocker. I have had to think of creative ways to secure vehicles.

I guess this varies on the location and condition of the vehicle lol. 

16 minutes ago, rockfangd said:

In NY there is no safe jacking point😪

Get a flat and try to jack up by the jacking point, Crunch there goes the rocker. I have had to think of creative ways to secure vehicles.

I guess this varies on the location and condition of the vehicle lol. 

I lucked out with my W's being from non salt use States.

9 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

You can see the flat metal plate in this pic on the front side of the exhaust.  That's your jack point, one of them anyways.  I put my floor jack right on it.  You can also use the afformentioned pinch weld points to jack the car up but I prefer this spot personally.

20200528_184124.jpg

OK.  I can see the jacking block.  Now I just need to figure out how to get my fat ass into a position where I can actually get the jack onto it. 

Unfortunately, my garage is not the best garage for working on cars.  I have maybe a foot in front of and behind the car, and I backed it in because at least I can open the garage door to get more space to work under the hood.  

• Haha 2

LOL, I have a one car apartment garage but that hasn't stopped me from getting things done.  Just need to get creative!

I like having the front end towards the garage door.  The daylight helps out alot in helping me see things under the hood.

20190818_190716.jpg

20190621_133853.jpg

Edited by jiggity76
  • Like 1

As stated & shown the lifting point is the centre lifting pad to the rear of the fuel tank, the stands would be placed under the triangular shaped structural support just in front of the trailing arms at the chassis end.

Just be sure not to let your jack, or jack stands, scratch or rest on the Mono-Leaf spring. That can lead to disastrous results.

Agreed. Alot of people did not even know these had a monoleaf.

Essentially a leafspring but sideways from left to right. Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber. I can't remember

I like using some wood blocks cut from a 2x4 between the body and jack just to spread the weight out and not scratch the underside.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to close this out.. all 4 corners are now on jack stands.  I have the car just high enough the wheels barely touch the ground.  This is enough I can get the tires off to work on the brakes, especially the rear ones, which was the goal for now.  

To do this, I had to move quite a few things around the car.  I was able to give myself enough room to crawl my fat self between the car and the workbench behind it up to my shoulders, and from there I could see well enough to get the jack on the jacking point.

Edited by pbender