Cutlass Supreme Clunk over bumps

Jackson Gay

So my 1994 Cutlass Convertible has this issue where it clunks bad in the rear over heavy bumps and it also looks like it sags a little bit. Could it be the rear struts and tower brace or what else? Also, what would be repair costs?

Sounds like a few things, struts and probably leaf spring, old trailing arm or rear sway bar bushings, ect and ect. Verts cannot mount a rear tower brace unless someone made you a unique and then we`d all like to see that.

If it hasnt been done yet everything back there is probably overdue for a replacement by now, put it up on jackstands and check it out. Its pretty simple back there.

Couldn't say what a shop would charge, I did my own and spent a few hundred bucks on parts plus the $ for an alignment afterwards.

No way to know "how much" until we know "what it is".

Could be anything from catastrophic rust damage to a loose spare tire rattling around in the tire well.  "Probably" related to worn-out struts, but until it's been inspected thoroughly, there's no knowing.

If it turns out to be the spare tire being loose, an idea. Ditch the whole set up, using the existing trunk floor thin rug as a template, cover the whole trunk floor in Thermo-Tech Cool-it sound deadener, using the extra pieces by smacking them on the sides of the inner fender well under the side trunk carpet pieces, re-install the thin carpeting pieces and Presto! a quiet cabin. I'd recommend getting an extra rim and getting a full size tire for the trunk, keeping the scissor jack next to it.

The heck with the cheap spare donut. How often do you use it anyway. You will be shocked at how much quieter your CS is! And for a really BIG difference buy one of those Lloyd's custom made trunk rug mats. A can't miss. I've done this in both my Cutlass Supremes and I'm not looking back. Also, how often do you fill the trunk as well? The spare tire also puts a bit of weight right over the rear wheel line, too.

Edited by bluecalais79

• 4 weeks later...

Start with the padding on the end of the leaf spring. I had that noise in the rear when creeping over speed bumps in the parking lot, or the kind that you find in front of schools 🚸. And it ended up being the rubber pads being worn. Rockauto might have them, or if you go with the alternative white bricks that sit under the end of the spring instead of over it, those can be found at your local autozone or advance auto. 

• 1 year later...

Hey don't know if you still have the car or the issue but I just noticed something very odd under my 92 cutlass supreme, the bracket that wraps around the sway bar bushing is broken loose and bent out of place, same symptoms, even the most uneven surface I'd hear the stabilizer bar bang on the exhaust