LQ1 exhaust clamp?

jiggity76

I think this is a clamp of some kind on my 91's LQ1 exhaust system.  Is this factory or not?  Do I need to get rid of it?  I think I do but not sure.  Any pics of your system would be great!

20200523_163411[1].jpg

It's supposed to be all one piece. Some muffler shop must have put a new muffler or something on at some point. I wouldn't get rid of it because it's clearly been cut and it's just going to leak if you do. 

Yeah if you want to get it welded you can certainly get rid of the clamp. Is that some really early production 91 car? Maybe they did it that way for some of the first LQ1 cars. I know my '91 Cutlass was not like that and neither was my '92 Z34. 

36 minutes ago, digitaloutsider said:

Yeah if you want to get it welded you can certainly get rid of the clamp. Is that some really early production 91 car? Maybe they did it that way for some of the first LQ1 cars. I know my '91 Cutlass was not like that and neither was my '92 Z34. 

Maybe.  It was built in Feb of 91.  Yeah, I really want that clamp off of there.  It's actually loose and slides back and forth a little.  One bolt is not tightened all the way.

If that were mine, I'd "tighten" the loose nut(s).  Either they actually tighten, and the loose clamp is no longer a problem...or the clamp breaks.  If the clamp breaks, you buy a new clamp just like it, tighten it like it should be, and walk away before you screw something up.

Welding this is just a waste of money.  A proper clamp is all this needs.

When you buy a new clamp, be sure to tell the parts dude that you want a "heavy-duty" clamp, not a light-duty clamp.  Light-duty clamps are for use with exhaust hangers, they just secure the pipe to the rubber mount.  Heavy-duty clamps are intended to crush the outer pipe to the inner pipe to make a gas-tight seal.  In other words, you're buying a U-bolt that takes 3/8-16 thread instead of 5/16-18.  Significantly stronger.

That replacement piece looks like an old Walker or Maremont aluminized item, they were notorious for crushing the pipe  in the manner you see there. Personally that wouldn't sit well with me. I suspect a previous owner was into a shop and that's what they installed instead of leaving the pipe intact & just welding on a new muffler.

That's your Cali car?

19 hours ago, Schurkey said:

If that were mine, I'd "tighten" the loose nut(s).  Either they actually tighten, and the loose clamp is no longer a problem...or the clamp breaks.  If the clamp breaks, you buy a new clamp just like it, tighten it like it should be, and walk away before you screw something up.

Welding this is just a waste of money.  A proper clamp is all this needs.

When you buy a new clamp, be sure to tell the parts dude that you want a "heavy-duty" clamp, not a light-duty clamp.  Light-duty clamps are for use with exhaust hangers, they just secure the pipe to the rubber mount.  Heavy-duty clamps are intended to crush the outer pipe to the inner pipe to make a gas-tight seal.  In other words, you're buying a U-bolt that takes 3/8-16 thread instead of 5/16-18.  Significantly stronger.

I really want it to go.  If it's not original to the car, I don't want it on there MORE than a weld.  Thank you for the guidance.  I'm going to see if I can take it off on my next day off.  It's loose and not doing anything for the exhaust right now.

2 hours ago, 55trucker said:

That replacement piece looks like an old Walker or Maremont aluminized item, they were notorious for crushing the pipe  in the manner you see there. Personally that wouldn't sit well with me. I suspect a previous owner was into a shop and that's what they installed instead of leaving the pipe intact & just welding on a new muffler.

That's your Cali car?

Yeah, it looks like the pipe is crimped a little doesn't it.  I think it needs to go and hopefully a good looking clean weld will replace it.

Nope, she's my Cutlass that lived in Oklahoma all it's life until I bought it.  The STE is the Cali car.

20200507_151630.jpg

Sorry guys, I keep forgettin I have a PARTS BOOK!!!  Geez!  Yes, this clamp is factory.  My STE has it as well and it's #11 on the diagram, part #10114791 for the clamp and part #10199232 for the dampener.  It's staying on the car and going to use the STE as a guide to where it's suppose to be and tighten it down.  Sorry to put you all thru this.

20200528_190351.jpg

20200528_184124.jpg

Edited by jiggity76

31 minutes ago, digitaloutsider said:

Huh.. I learned something I guess. I really really swear my Lumina and TGPs were definitely not like that. 

Well it looks so NON factory, I assumed it was added after the fact.  It's great that I have these part # books...I just have to remember that I have them and need to utilize them.  I feel dumb for posting about this.  Feel like I wasted your guy's time.  Again, sorry.