Draining Fuel Tank

pwmin

My friend has a bad-ass 01? GTP that I would like to help him get going again.  it's a shame to see it sit.  Anyway, there are a few issues, but the one that needs taken care of first, besides a different battery, but that's easy, is it has OLD gas.  What is the best way to drain the gas on these cars?  I should know and I was hoping I could find something in a search, but figured someone on here has had to do this before.

Take it off and clean it out that way for ultimate results, siphon out as much as you can for the fastest way, they make cheap pumps so no need to go all Saigon street whore on some rubber vacuum hose. Get your buddy to change that fuel filter after a few miles and those L67s loved some marvel mystery oil added to the go faster juice.

If the pump works, you could remove the fuel line or the schrader valve and pump out the old fuel by energizing it. If the pump is dead, remove the tank access door and use any number of items to pump the fuel from the tank. 

• Like 1

I've never siphoned from one of these, so I didn't know if it would work.  I know on newer cars, you can't do that anymore.

Fuel pump probably works, so I guess the best way would be to hook something up to the Schrader valve, then.

The Gen 2 cars have an opening in the floorpan above the tank to get access to the pump assembly. The port is in the trunk. One disconnects (quick disconnects) the pressure side line and inserts a long length of similar sized tubing fed to a container & let the pump run until the tank is near empty.

Otherwise remove the vehicle fuel pump & pick one of these ....https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Ji5fWDSyL._AC_SS350_.jpgand screw on some hose to each end & chuck it into a drill & this little pump will drain the tank.

Edited by 55trucker
  • Like 2

Pull the fuel filter--you're going to anyway, right?  And then either jump the oil pressure switch, or jump the relay so as to use the pump in the tank to purge 99% of the gasoline.

At that point, you can make a decision whether or not to drop the tank, replace the pump, clean the debris out of the tank, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 6:19 PM, 55trucker said:

The Gen 2 cars have an opening in the floorpan above the tank to get access to the pump assembly. The port is in the trunk. One disconnects (quick disconnects) the pressure side line and inserts a long length of similar sized tubing fed to a container & let the pump run until the tank is near empty.

Otherwise remove the vehicle fuel pump & pick one of these ....https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Ji5fWDSyL._AC_SS350_.jpgand screw on some hose to each end & chuck it into a drill & this little pump will drain the tank.

I would be very hesitant to use an electric or battery operated drill around gas vapors— unless it is brushless and you’re absolutely sure it doesn’t create sparks. Most brush type drills, you can see the sparks inside the housing, not a good combo around gas. I’ve heard of folks creating big fireballs using electric tools near gasoline.

• 1 month later...