LQ1 Harmonic Balancer removal

tonytoca_87

Has anyone ever had to replace the harmonic balancer on the LQ1? How hard or easy is it and do I need to rent a puller from the parts store for the removing process? 

That coolant pipe is going to have to get out of the way for any sort of puller to get on the HB from what I can see on mine. Mine is still supported by the bay tool and it looks as if the engine may have to come down an inch or two to get access too. Yes you`ll need a certain tool to remove and reinstall but its not that complicated to use.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rich_e777 said:

That coolant pipe is going to have to get out of the way for any sort of puller to get on the HB from what I can see on mine. Mine is still supported by the bay tool and it looks as if the engine may have to come down an inch or two to get access too. Yes you`ll need a certain tool to remove and reinstall but its not that complicated to use.

I actually need to change both pipes. The pipe near the pulleys is rusted and the other pipe that runs right above the manifold is leaking bad. You can see it drip when car warms up. I have been trying to search for those pipes but I guess there discontinued parts.