Electrical issues.

jiggity76

My friend has a 01 Monte Carlo SS with 71,000 miles.  She's having issues with the driver's door locks not working at all, the passenger door lock will UNLOCK when put into drive and the window will not roll up/down.  Driver's window works fine.  Any ideas?  

The driver's door lock actuator has been replaced but still doesn't work.  She's also having an intermittent ABS light come on but the brakes work just fine.  Her alarm system is also acting up.  Thanks guys!

Edited by jiggity76

Couple things come to mind.

A big one is the alarm system. Depending on how much it does that may explain the weird issues.

Second I would inspect the harness between the door and the body for wires broken in half. Rather common to fatigue and break over time

1 hour ago, rockfangd said:

Couple things come to mind.

A big one is the alarm system. Depending on how much it does that may explain the weird issues.

Second I would inspect the harness between the door and the body for wires broken in half. Rather common to fatigue and break over time

Thank you!  I was also thinking that there might be some sort of module that controls these systems?  If it were me (I suggested it to her), I would take it to a GM dealer that has treated me very well over the years and have it diagnosed.  I just wanted to check here first thinking it might be a common issue with these gens.

You must have lucked out on dealerships, the last dealership I took my '98 to for a recall tried to say there was a huge oil leak (there isn't) and wanted over $1500 to "fix" it. This was multiple years ago though.

22 minutes ago, Amanita said:

You must have lucked out on dealerships, the last dealership I took my '98 to for a recall tried to say there was a huge oil leak (there isn't) and wanted over $1500 to "fix" it. This was multiple years ago though.

Well with my GM's, yes.  With my new Ford, absolutely not!  I've had issues with 3 local Ford dealers really souring my new car buying experience.

Door locks are USUALLY either the switch in the driver's door; or the wire harness in the driver's door hinge area.  That said...the problem(s) can be anywhere in the circuit, and there's no guarantee that there's only ONE problem.  SAME thing with the power windows.

ABS--connect a scan tool.  Verify all wheel sensors; look for codes including "pendng" codes.

Alarm system:  Good luck.  There's heaps and piles of crap alarm systems that lack service procedures or any sort of "help".  Then there's the harness-butchers that "install" them.  Some people need their fingers broken with their own wrenches.  Yes, the alarm system could be the cause of at least some of the "other" problems; if the harness was hacked to install the thing.

31 minutes ago, rockfangd said:

I have terrible luck in dealing with our GM dealers. If it is over 10 years old I feel they have no clue. Just a guessing game with them

It's a shame you spend thousands of dollars on a brand new vehicle even and the manufacturer's Service Departments can't properly fix them or treat you like crap!  Doesn't matter what brand you have, seems people have issues with them all.  My Ford dealer that I bought my new Super Duty from is a prime example of this sort of thing.  Really disheartening to the point that I'm worried about them doing some recalls on it.  Three separate occasions, my truck came back to me worse off than when I left it with them!

I will say, my local GM Parts Department has been stellar!  Without them and a guy named Mike, I wouldn't have found all the NOS pieces for my W's.  He's the best!

Wow. That nails me. I have a recall for my airbags on my Tundra but am leery of acquiring new problems. If I could replace them myself I totally would.

I almost want to just let it go but it is part of that Takata Recall