New Rear 6 x 9 Speakers, need ideas

bluecalais79

I'm having a heck of a time trying to buy some rear speakers for my 1994 CS 2 door, the current ones are 6 x 9 4 ohm, the "extended range" factory option. I note there are not one but 2 plug ins, one on either side of the magnet for a total of 4 wires going in instead of the usual 2 wires into one plug; this seems to be cutting my options on what I can buy. The factory number on the speakers is 16189661.

The fellow at Turnswitch.com says i have Bi-Ampable speakers (component?) and he suggested Sony XS-GS6921. I'd rather stick with NOS factory but that looks to be ultra hard to find.

Does anyone out there know what I can use, I would like to just plug new one in without any mods, or as little as possible.

thx

These are the speakers I use since I have the same system. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068R69N/RetroSound-R-69N.html

$180 for the pair, but those Sony's look nicer. You can cut the plugs off the old speakers and solder them to connecting wires that come with the new speakers, that's what I did. The only tricky part is figuring out which set of plugs goes to what polarity. Both of my grand prixs had blown rear speakers so I'd question the durability of factory replacements, even NOS ones.

Hey thanks, these fit the bill for sure. You can buy on e bay adapter plugs for these so no cutting is needed and they will also serve to get the polarity right. I bought one set but I'll need to buy another one. Plus these speakers look nice and shallow, they will be clear of my rear strut tower brace.

Thanks again, I'm on board.

Just completed an order of a set of these. Got to keep things moving ahead. I'm hoping they arrive by this weekend Not sure if you read any of my other posts but I'm hustling to get it done by late next month when my nephew turns 17, I would like to give him this car. The rear seatback needs to be fixed and I'd like to take a crack at re-soldering the door lock remote brain that's located right next to the rear speaker to try and get them to work.

Thanks Again for this lead, these speakers fit the bill.

I used a pair of Sony Xplods in my 1992 Cutlass Supreme, but I don't have the exact model number.  What I look for is a higher-end coaxial speaker with two sets of wires soldered to each speaker terminal; one for the woofer and one for the tweeter. The polarity of each wire will be the same for each terminal.  Now, I retrofitted a factory amplified system into my car. What I did was de-solder the tweeter wires and re-solder them to two-wire factory connectors.  The woofer wires stay soldered to the speaker terminals and I soldered wires to an additional set of two-wire factory connectors.  By doing this you can create a bi-wired speaker.

My RetroSound speakers have arrived. I also bought plug end adapters so I will not need to cut any wires. I will first test them and then another project awaits.

I say, without doing all this stuff, life just wouldn't be worth living, right?

Thanks, the speakers were installed this past weekend. Thanks again to Amanita for the lead on RetroSound, they fit the bill and a nice and shallow.