Hello, friends!

Quantic08

Hello!

I have quite a few W-Bodies, including a Buick Allure and two Pontiac Grand Prixs. One has the LS4! Grrr mini-Corvette engine 😁

I am quite fond of the platform, as it is relatively simple to fix as far as modern cars go. I would love to hear what others have to contribute.

My only complaint is the rust-prone upper front shock towers! Any suggestions on how to prevent this corrosion is well appreciated.

Take care,

Rob

• Like 2

I would love to hear from anyone that had the 3.4 DOHC engine, that was a "black sheep" for us mechanics but the fuel economy and WOT scream wouldn't be beat!

• Like 3

They’re fun engines, I’ve had 3; my old cutlass vert, a 96 Monte Carlo daily driver that had around 180k, and currently have one with a 5 speed in the gtp. Other than the engine bay being a little cramped they’re not bad, and I was never sure why they got such a bad rap.

• Like 3

Welcome!  I have two early LQ1 cars and so in love with them!  I'm very slowly getting them running as they have sat unused for many years.  I love working on them and I have learned so much thru this Forum.  I have so much more to learn and looking forward to it!

• Like 2

Hello again!

It's really great to see the forum is still active.

I bet the LQ1 with the 5 speed is a fun combination. I always thought it was a neat engine, especially as unlike Ford (which went to Yamaha for their DOHC V6), GM developed theirs independently. I asked the question as my W-Bodies are all pushrods, and you can't quite rev them stupid like you can with an overhead cam design. No complaints about the motors though! The 3800 and LS4 are both excellent engines.

It's so hard to believe my GXP is already 13 years old. It feels like yesterday that I got that thing. Great car - "never gonna give her up" - lol.

Thank you for the warm welcome, all!

14 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

Welcome!  I have two early LQ1 cars and so in love with them!  I'm very slowly getting them running as they have sat unused for many years.  I love working on them and I have learned so much thru this Forum.  I have so much more to learn and looking forward to it!

That's what Jay Leno says, if you have a car you love - "find the club"! Other people who are passionate about the car can be very knowledgeable. I'm glad this place is still active! So many of these vehicles were just used up and thrown out.

Don't crush 'em - restore 'em!

On 4/14/2020 at 12:47 AM, Psych0matt said:

They’re fun engines, I’ve had 3; my old cutlass vert, a 96 Monte Carlo daily driver that had around 180k, and currently have one with a 5 speed in the gtp. Other than the engine bay being a little cramped they’re not bad, and I was never sure why they got such a bad rap.

She's a beauty! Glad to see the car is still on the road. I bet that 5-speed really brings out the LQ1's personality.

On 4/14/2020 at 12:23 AM, Quantic08 said:

the fuel economy and WOT scream wouldn't be beat!

Don't necessarily agree with that.....the LQ1 doesn't sip fuel, it will chug-a-lug it..https://www.funny-emoticons.com/files/smileys-emoticons/funny-emoticons/105-mad-drinking.png  

keep your foot out of the oilpan and it will provide somewhat modest fuel economy.........but the engine does have it's own unique howl :)

• Like 3

I think I would have to disagree with both of you, I haven’t noticed it to be much better or worse than the 60° engines or the 3800s I’ve owned, I seem to get somewhere around the 22 to 24 mark on the ones I’ve owned, slightly more on the five-speed of course

2 hours ago, 55trucker said:

Don't necessarily agree with that.....the LQ1 doesn't sip fuel, it will chug-a-lug it..https://www.funny-emoticons.com/files/smileys-emoticons/funny-emoticons/105-mad-drinking.png  

keep your foot out of the oilpan and it will provide somewhat modest fuel economy.........but the engine does have it's own unique howl :)

Really? I heard the LQ1 was a fuel sipper. But hey, we're all "performance drivers" - so heck, fuel economy doesn't matter.

But - if you think your LQ1 is hard on fuel you should see my LS4 at 6k RPM. That thing earned her name, "Guzzler." lol.

I might be an old fart, but back in the day we used to use a program called Ventrilo for voice group chats.

Audio is so much more enriching for conversations. Maybe we can get a group chat going over voice? I have several old servers that can run Ventrilo.

Well, after some research it appears Ventrilo is a relic from my past. Skype groups seem to be the way to go.

We should connect over audio! It's much better than text, especially for us "old people." My typing fingers aren't what they used to be.

Oh, and if anyone's wondering: my 2003 GP GT is the smiling face on Wikipedia. The previous photo was absolutely ghastly.

GrandPrixGT.jpg

And yes, she still runs! Since the photo, some crude rust repair has been done to protect the car. She'll see a proper restoration soon.

• Like 2

Somebody posted on Reddit? Where? Hope that '00 is OK.

OK, well "subreddits" are a thing now. I haven't seen Reddit since early ~2010s. Do we have a subreddit?

Rob

Edited by Quantic08

I had a '99 2D GTP in that same color, those L67 will chug gas like a frat boy goes through budlight, the LQ1 not as bad. I 2nd the unique purr the engine gives off, ive got a custom exhaust with the muffler far forward of the stock location just aft the cat converter going through mostly straight pipes to C5 tips. 

• Like 1

My son's '02 GTP would put the '91 to shame. On the highway his blown 3800 car would get 28US miles to the gallon whereas the LQ1 would only deliver 24. Both fuels tanks are just a liter different in size, driving conservatively (100kmh/62mph). The 2nd gen GTP's are almost 250lbs. heavier.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 5:22 PM, 55trucker said:

My son's '02 GTP would put the '91 to shame. On the highway his blown 3800 car would get 28US miles to the gallon whereas the LQ1 would only deliver 24. Both fuels tanks are just a liter different in size, driving conservatively (100kmh/62mph). The 2nd gen GTP's are almost 250lbs. heavier.

I always wanted a Grand Prix with the LQ1 and the manual. I love my pushrod W-Bodies, but being able to explore the upper end of the rev band is just something they don't want to do (LS4 excepted.)

Here's my Allure! She's getting restored as we speak.

IMG_0027.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 11:23 PM, Quantic08 said:

I would love to hear from anyone that had the 3.4 DOHC engine, that was a "black sheep" for us mechanics but the fuel economy and WOT scream wouldn't be beat!

Welcome to the forum! "Quantic08"? Are you a Marine by chance? I'm retired Navy, so if you are, Semper Fi 👍

I currently own four cars with the 3.4 DOHC engine and three of them are running very well. The one that's not running is a car that I bought not running and haven't gotten to it yet. Two of my four cars are 5 speeds too. One is my daily driver and the other one is the one that doesn't run (yet). 

Again, welcome aboard!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 11:02 PM, MemphisMan said:

Welcome to the forum! "Quantic08"? Are you a Marine by chance? I'm retired Navy, so if you are, Semper Fi 👍

I currently own four cars with the 3.4 DOHC engine and three of them are running very well. The one that's not running is a car that I bought not running and haven't gotten to it yet. Two of my four cars are 5 speeds too. One is my daily driver and the other one is the one that doesn't run (yet). 

Again, welcome aboard!

No, I'm not a Marine. I wish! I'm Canadian, and while I pondered joining our military it's kind of a joke.

Love that convertible Olds, that's a beauty.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Here's a photo of the GXP and GT together.

20180915_084930.thumb.jpg.ee8163985400075c6f7c700de6b60027.jpg

Rob