Rear Speaker Change- 1994 Cutlass 2 Door

bluecalais79

Anyone out there know of any workable shortcuts in getting out the 2 rear 6 x 9 speakers out of a 1994 Cutlass Supreme Coupe. I read the manual and I'm really hoping to avoid taking out the entire back seat/package shelf, etc.  just so I can remove the speaker covers. If this is the only way so be it but has anyone found a way to get them out but just removing the speaker covers without damaging them or is that even possible.

thx.

I tried with my Grand Prix. It's pretty much impossible from what I can tell to remove all the screws without taking the parcel shelf out. It's not that bad of a job if you have the bench seat in the rear. I've never taken out rear bucket seats.

You have to pull the rear parcel shelf in order to pull the 4 screws that hold the speaker to the shelf.  No other way around it that I know of.  You might have to remove the top seat back in order to pull 4 I think very large plastic tabs that lock the front of the parcel shelf to the metal partition between the rear seat and trunk. I had 4 of those large plastic tabs on both of my Supreme coupes with the rear bucket seat setup.

Actually, you can remove the speaker grille to expose the four bolts that hold the speaker in without removing the parcel tray.

This first pic is of the grille removed. Once off you can see the bolts that hold the speaker in.
6dccbe9424acbed7d3df73bcbf648c27.jpg

The grille clips into the rectangular plastic piece at four points. This is the view from underneath. The tabs at the top of the pic are on the front side of the grille.
2e1939397cffb1d44f7fa179b5412a43.jpg
Here they are from the front side.
1ad3f69ca718627f7a42f3de09bd2d69.jpg
You should be able to insert a small screwdriver between the carpet and the rectangular plastic piece to push the tab and release both front tabs one at a time. Once the front tabs are released, you can maneuver the grille out.
2a03f051c696e4193ba2260aa12ddd1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, MemphisMan said:

Actually, you can remove the speaker grille to expose the four bolts that hold the speaker in without removing the parcel tray.

This first pic is of the grille removed. Once off you can see the bolts that hold the speaker in.
6dccbe9424acbed7d3df73bcbf648c27.jpg

The grille clips into the rectangular plastic piece at four points. This is the view from underneath. The tabs at the top of the pic are on the front side of the grille.
2e1939397cffb1d44f7fa179b5412a43.jpg
Here they are from the front side.
1ad3f69ca718627f7a42f3de09bd2d69.jpg
You should be able to insert a small screwdriver between the carpet and the rectangular plastic piece to push the tab and release both front tabs one at a time. Once the front tabs are released, you can maneuver the grille out.
2a03f051c696e4193ba2260aa12ddd1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wow!  I wasn't aware!  My bad guys and thanks for clarifying MemphisMan.

Thanks I was wondering if just those covers could be popped out somehow. It would certainly make for a smaller job.

Thanks again, I'll look into giving this a try. If it feels like something is going to break I'll pull back and take the long route. Either way I win, my rear (bench) seatback needs to  be removed for repair anyway, my brother did a heck of a number on it kicking through it to get in the car as the door locks weren't working for him at that time. Put it this way, I'm really glad my wife is a skilled seamstress, good with a curved needle. The latch for the passengers side fold-down is stuck and rattles when the car is moving and the 2 seams above the arm rest are torn away.

I'm looking for a decent set of low profile 6 x 9's co-axial to place in here, this car (thankfully) has the Extended Range 6 speaker set-up (I'm the original owner & I still have the window sticker) so it's got 4 OHM speakers. The number stamped on them is 16189861 and they have a 100W rating. Not bad for factory. Having 4 OHM though, that's a plus, it opens up what I can buy. I need a lower profile speaker as I have that RSTB installed which does get fairly close to the trunk ceiling.

• Like 2

Yeah, sorry, I got this one wrong and MemphisMan got it right.  I was thinking you had to pull the entire parcel shelf but that's not the case.  Good luck to you and post your progress please!

Aye, will do. I'll attempt this one the rear speakers come in. I've settled in on buying a set of the Special High Performance Co-axials from Turnswitch.com., they have a set that go 3 1/2 inch deep, and have a contoured ceramic magnet that resembles the factory magnet, that should be fine. I've been buying from them for my 4 x 10 speakers in my 1979 cars, all made in USA!

I have some adaptor plug ins on the way so there will be no wire cutting.

• 3 weeks later...

A big THANKS to Memphis Man for the photos above. I was able to remove the speaker grilles without removing the shelf, saving a major amount of time on this job! Now here's the best part. Thanks to his photos, I was able to pinpoint where the tabs were and rather than use a screwdriver, I placed my thumbs over where the estimated spots where the tabs are located, and gave it a quick push and the front tabs popped right up. No tools needed!

Now you may be able to do this without removing the back seat which would really be ideal but I wouldn't recommend that as you need the room to make a lateral push to avoid the potential of damaging the grills. I had other repair work needing to be done on the rear seatback so that came with the job.

As far as the remote brain for the door & trunk locks, I have abandoned that job. I'll just use my keys. My Dad lost one of the remotes and my brother lost the other, so the next owner can deal with that.

My RetroSound speakers are in and properly installed, and my rear seatback is repaired as best it can be (see the Wanted section).

On 4/27/2020 at 7:01 AM, bluecalais79 said:

A big THANKS to Memphis Man for the photos above. I was able to remove the speaker grilles without removing the shelf, saving a major amount of time on this job! Now here's the best part. Thanks to his photos, I was able to pinpoint where the tabs were and rather than use a screwdriver, I placed my thumbs over where the estimated spots where the tabs are located, and gave it a quick push and the front tabs popped right up. No tools needed!

Now you may be able to do this without removing the back seat which would really be ideal but I wouldn't recommend that as you need the room to make a lateral push to avoid the potential of damaging the grills. I had other repair work needing to be done on the rear seatback so that came with the job.

As far as the remote brain for the door & trunk locks, I have abandoned that job. I'll just use my keys. My Dad lost one of the remotes and my brother lost the other, so the next owner can deal with that.

My RetroSound speakers are in and properly installed, and my rear seatback is repaired as best it can be (see the Wanted section).

This is great! I'm glad I was able to help. You helped me too with your idea of simply pushing on the grilles to make them release. I'm going to be doing that for my International sedan. I have the rear shelf out now so I can get window film installed and will address the slightly discolored grilles while the shelf is out. 

Sounds good. Yeah, I took one look at that package shelf and just decided to let it be. I'm a real stickler for everything working as it should but until I find an NOS or functional set of brain/remotes I'm not going to bother with it. The keys now work just fine since I fixed the door handles so that will be the extent of it for now.

I had an NOS TRW brain that I gave to my Dad years ago so he could get it fixed. It cost over $200 and I swear I was told by the dealer it was the last one available in the country via the GM dealer network, which was probably true at that time. I visited my Dad on one occasion and I accidentally left my glasses at his house. He shipped them back to me in the same GM box the module was in. I asked him where the black box was that was originally in the GM box to which he replied, "Oh that, I threw it out".  DOHHHHHHHH. Holy cow that hurt.