Broken door check

Bigal8632

Have a 1995 convertible with a broken driver door check. Can anyone suggest a fix? It is rough on an old man getting in and out of his beloved Olds.  Thanks for any help, Big Al.

13 hours ago, Bigal8632 said:

Have a 1995 convertible with a broken driver door check. Can anyone suggest a fix? It is rough on an old man getting in and out of his beloved Olds.  Thanks for any help, Big Al.

What's a drivers door check?  I'm unfamiliar with that term.

If I remember correctly, you have to take the door panel off to replace those. Not terrible, but there's always plastic part breakage risk. Parts availability is going to be your issue. Pretty sure it's two nuts and a bolt total... Any two door first gen should work, but I have a feeling you can find one to fit in other GM products of the era. I remember replacing mine, but that was maybe 8 years ago. The problem is that if you hunt for one at a yard, almost all of them will be noisy on the driver door.

Maybe you could consider calling your local dealer, getting a part number, and seeing what you find on ebay for a cross reference. One option is to post an "In search of" ad in the classified section of this forum. A lot of members have spare parts or even spare cars that they can source from if you're nice enough.

what part failed?........was it the rivet that is peened into place at the hinge bolted to the frame?..or was it the body of the check, (it's bolted to the inside of the front of the door) they do fracture, when they do they will make a loud snapping noise as the door is swung open.

• Like 1

Well seems to be common.1st. Get  panel off , pics may help , next remove door check , replace, pictures should help. go to the local bone yard find some 90 to 95 and practice. the harder is getting the door panel off. 
good luck

769CCB27-6FB8-4DF7-8497-5B6006B581D1.jpeg

CD58A482-94AF-4A0A-A048-DFDC7CEC06B2.jpeg

C25374F3-E73F-4D82-953E-C8DD0DC9F45A.jpeg

86E4C52D-0FEF-41E1-9907-4EDEF735197D.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by jmjp5055
Wrong picture

J_mezz - Thanks for the tip on left and right being the same. Do you still have the dome light switches available? I sure would like to get them and led bulbs.

Jmjp5055 - Thanks for sharing the manual info. I recently had the door panel off to replace the dreaded door handle. Have not been able to findpp replacement check.

Start scouring the salvage yards for a replacement, you won't like the *new* replacement price for this bugger.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-check-strap-19244700/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Z2xhc3MtZG9vciZpPUFIODgzOTA0JnI9MjImYT1wb250aWFjJm89Z3JhbmQtcHJpeCZ5PTE5OTMmdD1zZSZlPTMtMWwtdjYtZ2Fz

Edited by 55trucker

I'm surprised it's even available. Finding a used one in good shape is tough. If it truly is the same for left and right, definitely grab a passenger one from a yard. If you don't have the energy for that, frankly 110ish shipped isn't terrible for such an uncommonly broken item brand new.

2 hours ago, Bigal8632 said:

Vipmiller803 - Thanks for the suggestion about going to a dealer for part number. I will post in "in search of."

Also, just a heads up, not sure what interface you're using for this forum, but the "quote" button lets us know you replied to our specific post. None of those replies would show up in our notifications unless we subscribed to the thread (default off). You can even quote multiple people in one reply.