Upgrading a 2000 chevy lumina

Alecdroxx

I purchased a 2000 chevy lumina about 3 months ago, it has the 3100 sfi v6 and felt really sluggish when i bought it. Since then i found out the cat converter was completely plugged up, i put a new high flow cat on and it gave the engine a massive increase in power, i also decided to get bigger piping all the way to the back with a resonator delete and put the back half of an exhaust off a grand prix in it with custom hangers for the dual exhaust, i also made another intake tube that goes into the front bumper for more cold air with a trottlebody off a 3400 sfi, it feels alot better and it will actually chirp the tires at launch. Im looking to get more power out of it but i have a pretty tight budget (around $250) anyone have any ideas to squeeze a bit more juice out of her? Thank you

15830917174605894775983746236449.jpg

3 hours ago, Alecdroxx said:

anyone have any ideas to squeeze a bit more juice out of her? Thank you

uhh.. (just my opinion)....don't sink any money into an LG8,  go out and find the latest LA1 engine or an LX9 & do a LA1 top swap & drop that in if you want to go *faster*. 

• Like 2

Yeah, i could find an la1 for very cheap, my cousin owns an auto salvage yard and has 2 or 3 of them but i beleive 2 of then need head gaskest and one is still in a impala

Would an lx9 be a direct swap though?

I beleive the lx9 is electronically controlled throttle

Edited by Alecdroxx
Accidentally clicked submit to early

The long block is a direct drop in, to retain your throttle by wire one swaps the upper intake plenum from the LA1 (or LG8) onto the LX9 intake manifold. When doing this conversion you might want to gasket match the plenum runners to open them up slightly seeing as the LX9 runners are larger. If one wants the 65mm throttle body the intake flange needs to be opened up to accommodate the bigger body.  

You'll also keep your fuel rail as it is not returnless as is the LX9.

One doesn't have to go *whole hog* on the transplant, one does what they feel is beneficial to them.....

See the Milzy information in this link for more info on what's involved, it's not difficult to do at all.....

https://www.milzymotorsports.com/3500-swap/

Edited by 55trucker

Yeah, maybe i could do the lx9, it seems to have almost identical power to a 3800 series 2 and have all the gasket issues fixed that the La1 and Lg8 have, so all of the sensors would plug in i just need to change the plenum, gaskets, fuel rails?

Here is a posting where this swap was done in an 96 A body ........

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=15201

do some reading.......I believe the most difficult hurdle might be the exact location of the rear exhaust manifold flange to pipe, I do not know for certain if the LG8 graduated to the 2 1/2" downpipe that the LA1 engines made use of, the LX9 most certainly does.

Ill do some reading, and will most likely save up for a milzy motorsports swap kit, called my cousin and he said he will sell me a used lx9 with 72350 miles on it. Probably will pick that up next week and once i get everything for the swap ill post it on here for anyone who wants to do it or wants to know how.