Frustrating leak

57lxi

My 95 has a leak on the drivers side somewhere from the windshield header at the top. Pin cup is totally gone on that side. I have laid a thick bead of caulk around it. Other weather stripping is in good shape as is windshield seal. Window stripping is tight.  Passenger side has intact pin cup and no leaks.With a steady stream from hose, it takes a minute or more before it starts dripping right on the drivers seat. It has made the car unusable when it rains.

I've got a 95 vert that has leaked, and is leaking, a number of places as well.   I have some ideas what may be happening but I don't have my vert with me today to double-check. 

When you close the latch, it is supposed to draw everything up tight.   The bottom hook that swings into the header when you close the latch is threaded, so I think that you can thread the hook in to the top a little more, and then when the latch is closed it might draw everything up tighter?   

If that doesn't work, you could do a quick test and put a sleeve of some sort (hollow metal/plastic piece) over the pin so it fits into the head opening tightly, as it would if you had a pin cup.   That may help draw that corner of the top to the header a little tighter, but I'm not sure without trying it. 

Or you could add a strip of thin weatherstripping on top of the existing header seal to create a better seal against the header.   That may create new problems at the corners, though, as they won't fit the same way.     

Also, I think the seal on the side of the windshield is supposed to allow water to drain down through it, but if the opening at the top of it is blocked then that water will go somewhere else.   On my car, since I replaced the top, things don't align well at that corner but most of my overflow water runs down the outside of my side window.   Note that I said "most", not "all". 

Anyway, I'm very interested in how you fix your leak, as I am always fighting leaks.  In the fall/winter/spring I keep a roll of paper towels in the back seat and a couple towels in the rear footwells to help clean up the leaked water.  

• Like 2

I got another plan I’m gonna try this weekend. If it doesn’t work, I’m gonna have to bail on the car. Bummer deal. It’s fun to drive and gets a lot of complements on it. Not much use to me if I can’t drive it as a daily driver. 

As old as these cars are about the only way you can stop a leaking roof is not let it get wet. In 2-3 more years even the "newest" convertible is going to be eligible for antique tags and they didnt make alot of replacement parts. IIRC a custom shop was allowed to cut up factory coupes rather than the convertible being built in the factory. Find yourself a coupe as a DD and park the vert for good weather. 

You could try some German stuff called Gummi Pfledge, it`ll make the seals swell up some.

Agreed 100%, avoid rainy days at all costs. It just ain't worth it. About 20 years ago I bought a 1994 triple black CS vert from Florida. Unfortunately I got completely ripped off on this car, the top was shot and leaked in about 5 places. So, I forked over $1700 for a brand new (Hartz Canvas) top that looked great on the car! And the next rainstorm I discovered that my new expensive top leaked in a spot the one spot where old top wasn't leaking. So, it only got driven on days with zero chance of rain. I soon sold it, lesson learned there. I haven't owned one since. I will never buy another one. Until the next time I get one.

Edited by bluecalais79

• 2 weeks later...

yeah unfortunately mine leaks as well...you can put your finger between the top and the winshield where the gasket should be. I dont have a lot invested in it, and i figure the top is only on it in case it rains while I'm at work. I like driving it, if i get wet going home from work I dont let it bother me....i carry a towel as well, but I've also seen times where I've had an inch of water in the back seat floor. i still love it