Greetings from Western New York

gregsampson

Hey everyone. I joined this forum late last year and have spent the past couple of months getting a feel for things around here. I like the sense of community here and am impressed with the level of expertise and care from community members. I thought it might be time to introduce myself. I help run a service shop here in Western New York. We mostly work on imported vehicles, but we see a number of W-body vehicles coming through the shop on a fairly regular basis. I'm hoping to find some assistance from other members here as problems arise, and am hoping to be able to contribute where I can.

I do have one particular issue here at the shop, and was hoping you all might be able to provide some guidance. We have a 1997 Cutlass Supreme sedan here for some rear end body work. The car needs a replacement rear bumper reinforcement -- the one that was in there was pretty rusted out. The consensus here is that the existing part is beyond repair. I've been trying to locate a good part from recyclers across the country and have had no luck...

This seems to be a common problem for the W-body cars -- at least those that lived their life in the salted Northern winters. So I'm wondering how you all might have dealt with this issue?  If there's a forum conversation you could point me to, that would a great start (tried searching the forums with no luck...). In case you find it helpful, I've attached a picture of the reinforcement we are working with.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--Greg

rear view.jpg

top view.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome and thanks for joining! The rear bumper support being rotted out is definitely a common theme for the northern cars. The only solution I'm aware of is a junkyard piece. I still see first gen W cars in the pick-n-pull yard every now and then, so they exist, but I think the problem you're gonna run into is that we-pull-and-ship auto recyclers aren't gonna stock them. 

I'm not ultra familiar with the logistics of used auto parts, but outside of finding a southern yard that stocks old cars AND is willing to ship, I'm not sure what else you can really do in that scenario.

Hey thanks for the info. I'd been leaning in the direction of contacting recyclers in the southern US states -- I've had some success doing that when dealing with similar parts problems in the past. Don't know if it's at all helpful here, but based on GM part numbers it looks like the following vehicles use the same rear bumper reinforcement as the 1997 Cutlass Supreme:

GM Part No: 10274675

1990-94 Buick Regal (coupe)
1990-97 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
1990-96 Pontiac Grand Prix

If I'm mistaken on any of the above info, please let me know. Thanks again for the help!

--Greg

On 2/11/2020 at 9:38 AM, gregsampson said:

Hey everyone. I joined this forum late last year and have spent the past couple of months getting a feel for things around here. I like the sense of community here and am impressed with the level of expertise and care from community members. I thought it might be time to introduce myself. I help run a service shop here in Western New York. We mostly work on imported vehicles, but we see a number of W-body vehicles coming through the shop on a fairly regular basis. I'm hoping to find some assistance from other members here as problems arise, and am hoping to be able to contribute where I can.

I do have one particular issue here at the shop, and was hoping you all might be able to provide some guidance. We have a 1997 Cutlass Supreme sedan here for some rear end body work. The car needs a replacement rear bumper reinforcement -- the one that was in there was pretty rusted out. The consensus here is that the existing part is beyond repair. I've been trying to locate a good part from recyclers across the country and have had no luck...

This seems to be a common problem for the W-body cars -- at least those that lived their life in the salted Northern winters. So I'm wondering how you all might have dealt with this issue?  If there's a forum conversation you could point me to, that would a great start (tried searching the forums with no luck...). In case you find it helpful, I've attached a picture of the reinforcement we are working with.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--Greg

Welcome Greg. I live in Tennessee and we get some Cutlass Supreme sedans in the yards here from time to time. I'll be happy to pull one for you and ship it to you at cost plus shipping. There isn't any in the yards here now, so the timing might not be right for you, but I'm happy to look. 

• Like 1

Hello and welcome!  I live in Iowa so rust is an issue but I do see low mileage sedans come into my local yard so a rust free one could be possible.  I will keep a lookout as well when I can.  

I just wanted to show what a rust free CA one looks like, LOL.  My CA Grand Prix STE.

20190619_163142.jpg