1994 Cutlass 3.4 O2 Sensors

bluecalais79

I'm about to re-acquire my 1994 CS Coupe and it's in need of changing the O2 sensors, are these tough to change? I will be needing that special socket, once I get that I'd like to take a crack at changing these. I have a grease pit at my house so if needed I can get at the motor from underneath . thanks.  

I changed mine while I had the booster out and upper intake off. Its very awkwardly positioned, since there is only one o2 sensor pre catalytic. Also get an o2 sensor socket that had a slot to pull the wiring harness through as my Kent Moore kit o2 socket doesn't.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On 2/2/2020 at 6:28 AM, bluecalais79 said:

it's in need of changing the O2 sensors,

You have more than one O2 sensor???  I wouldn't expect that,on a pre-OBD-2 vehicle.  I'd expect ONE, in the rear exhaust manifold above the downpipe.

It's a pain in the ass on my '92 and '93.  I bought a 7/8 six-point wrench, heated and bent it to fit, and hit the free end with a hammer to get my O2 sensor out.  It was a cheap Craftsman wrench, so it wasn't very long and therefore had poor leverage.    On one car, I cut the downpipe for clearance then used a stainless-steel band clamp to re-connect; which actually worked very well but isn't something I take pride in.  The other one I unbolted the downpipe and pulled some exhaust hangers to lower the downpipe.

Yeah sorry bout that, only one sensor as you mentioned, and now no need for me to get one of those special sockets. This car has a bunch of other issues so I'm just going to bring it to a shop and let them deal with it. I've got mixed feelings about getting this car back. I bought it new in 1994. I gave it to my dad in 2012 and he proceeded to do NOTHING with it during that whole time. Then my brother had it for the last year and he doesn't know anything about these cars so you can guess the rest with that. I've got my work cut out for me if I want this thing getting back up to snuff, I'll say that.