Many thanks.

57lxi

Have had my one owner, garage kept 95, DOHC CSS vert for a couple months now. Had some trepidation about buying it with the bad rap the DOHC has. Previous ride was 95 Olds 88 with NA 3800. Was a great ride. Strong runner even with 265k on it. I put over 100k on it. It had its problems to but just knuckled down and fixed them. But I digress. This site has helped me realize my purchase was a good one. The DOHC can be a pain but I’m willing to deal with it. Car is absolute hoot to drive. Needless to say, handles better than the 88. Get lots of complements at gas stations. I’ve yet to see another one here in Austin. Thanks again for all the help.

• Like 3

So very glad you are enjoying your vert and the LQ1 option.  I have two of them myself and learning things about them almost daily.  So far I haven't been frustrated at all working on these motors, in fact it's just the opposite!  I've enjoyed working on them so much but I also have a lot of patience and I've been wrenching on cars for many years.  If I do get a little upset while working on them, I just take a breather and come back, try again, and it always works out just like when working on any other vehicle.  I dream of the day when I can actually drive my cars and hear these motors sing!  We look forward to your progress and any stories you would like to share!

My 91 Cutlass International Series coupe and my 93 Grand Prix STE.  Both LQ1 cars.

Jy3vue[1].jpg

8Qw5OZ[1].jpg

Edited by jiggity76
  • Like 2

Hope you enjoy the car.  I'm on my 3rd LQ1.  Why they have their particulars, most other engines do too.  A bit more difficult to work on, maybe, but not the scary devil that they are made out to be.

While looking for my Cutlass Supreme vert, I saw a lot of them with 140k+ miles on them.  One in the local yard had 185K+ on it.  I almost bought one with 170K on it.  They'll run, like most engines do.

Edited by 06goat75

I’ve had 3 LQ1s, and aside from about a year and half in 09 I’ve had one since 03, current one since ‘10. I love them, oddities and all, so much more fun than the pushrod type. Try driving one with a stick, it’s a blast!

I miss my vert and want another. I got more looks and compliments (03-06) driving that than I’ve had since I’ve owned the gtp (grantees it was mostly my dd so there’s that). I love these bastards of cars

I must be crazy, had a dream last night that I had a car with lq1, and put 3800 in it and took it out for a test drive and thought “what a dog” and was dreading driving it.  It felt so real as this was real and first time.

For those that know  I’ve swapped 3800’s for my LQ1 previously.  And have Vert with lq1, due for timing belt of course.  But the dream was almost like I had no knowledge of previous experiences.. haha!