3.4 belt tensioner

j_mezz

Does anyone know a source for the timing belt tensioner for a 94 3.4 With the hydraulic assembly?   Looks like all the tensioners on rock auto don't have the hydraulic part.

Thanks!

ok, fair enough, I was refering to it that way because my mechanic said he couldn't find a tensioner with the hydraulic part, and when I checked on rockauto there were several parts listed with the footnote "Does not include cam. tensioner hydraulic assembly". 

So, would you know where I could find a spring loaded one filled with lube?  lol

The issue I had was I was driving to work and the car stopped running.  I've had that happen before, last time it was because the timing belt broke.  This time, that was the first thing I checked but the belt was in tact.  Had it towed to my mechanic and he said the belt tensioner was shot.  Which makes sense, no tension = no belt.  Maybe I need to be searching for a more specific part?

Edited by j_mezz

I love it when mechanics use general terms...

I personally went to a local bar last week & I had 4 shots.....

I take it that he showed you the *failed*  actuator, generally the spring breaks or the worm fails.........There is a worm gear mechanism inside that allows one to *reload*  the actuator spring tension from the top thru an access hole with a screwdriver.

image.jpeg.ca9cd37652d03f315121f2295da1b7d3.jpeg

Edited by 55trucker

That's it!  And there's 2 on ebay!  Sold!

That was the thing, I had it towed in the morning and my mechanic texted me what it needed, but I still hadn't seen it.  Years ago I had started replacing the broken belt on my coupe, so I had some of the parts but couldn't remember what I had or what it all looked like.  Turns out I hadn't ordered the actuator but did find the one I removed.  hopefully that'll hold it over till I get the new one.

So psyched, thanks so much!  I love my vert!

1 hour ago, j_mezz said:

That's it!  And there's 2 on ebay!  Sold!

That was the thing, I had it towed in the morning and my mechanic texted me what it needed, but I still hadn't seen it.  Years ago I had started replacing the broken belt on my coupe, so I had some of the parts but couldn't remember what I had or what it all looked like.  Turns out I hadn't ordered the actuator but did find the one I removed.  hopefully that'll hold it over till I get the new one.

So psyched, thanks so much!  I love my vert!

MemphisMan just posted a how to video of this exact thing, a timing belt and all pulleys on the wonderful LQ1.