1999 Lumina 9C3 L67 swap thread...

Jim_rockford_007

figured I would start a thread detailing the removal of the L67 and 4t65E-HD  going through both , and reinstalling in my Lumina. 

The victim who will be donating its organs to science and to further  mankind's Knowledge of building cars that GM should have built. 

and the transplant receiver who will benefit greatly from the organ donation. 

Thanks for tuning in. received the transmission kit  yesterday , its from rockauto , master kit,  comes with almost everything, and has borg warner clutches and rabestos bands 

YfAlRL1.jpg

VwYJbec.jpg

• Like 2

dDFvlWu.jpg

rw2TxuG.jpg

trans before..

idzUMKO.jpg

Trans after Zep Purple cleaner and alot of elbow grease. 

LQPtfrX.jpg

PnhnJ0R.jpg

teardown reveled the nasty crunching noise it was making was, Drive gear thrust washer shit the bed and was eating into the channel plate.. so i need to get a new channel plat and some updated hardened input shafter, and a new pump shaft, converter was pooched also. 

LK9krnm.jpg

uZ9pvTD.jpg

We can make it better than it was New...

GaXFgzw.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Still in work, I had some other stuff come up the distracted me and some money making projects , and now I'm back on ,  Started tearing the engine down to the short block, inside the supercharger is in good shape, got it cleaned up , rotors looked good and the case didnt look like anyone has been feeding the supercharger any gravel ..lol  coupler wasnt busted, but the holes had some slop .  I'll post up some pics tomorrow .  

Ylow0Hp.jpg

XCChfa7.jpg

Edited by Jim_rockford_007
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Short block is resealed and ready for the heads .... Strong language on the video..lol 

20200716_160741.jpg

20200716_160747.jpg

20200716_160751.jpg

20200716_160754.jpg

cleaned all the valves and relapped them, cleaned all the springs and retainers and installed new valve seals before reassembling the front head, then set to work disassembling and cleaning the lifters and reassembled and installed in the block and got the front head bolted on.  just did a minor combustion clean up removing the sharp edge around the edge of the chamber to prevent any hot spots for pre ignition and also cleaned some of the casting flash on the inside of the valve train area.  Glad I decided to clean out the lifters, they were nasty . The Short block got all new Gaskets, New timing set with a new tensioner along with a New cam sensor reluctor since the old one broke from being so brittle and I installed a new Camshaft sensor pickup .

20200718_165708.jpg

20200718_165722.jpg

20200718_165736.jpg

20200718_170654.jpg

20200718_170720.jpg

20200718_174600.jpg

20200718_174835.jpg

20200718_180144.jpg

20200718_180205.jpg

20200718_181359.jpg

20200718_182519.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

More work, lotta Pics are not uploading.  Also got around to pull the #L32  out. 

20200729_171959.jpg

20200729_172014.jpg

20200729_172018.jpg

20200802_163541.jpg

20200809_161830.jpg

20200809_182818.jpg20200809_182827.jpg

• Like 1

OK , now on to the Transmission, I needed the L36 out of the car so i can use the rotating assy from the 4T65E  to go in the Grans Prix case that i already had cleaned up and read to build, I ordered a Master kit from Rock auto specced for the 65e-hd, doesnt really matter, but I just ordered it for what i was building,  and got set to start tearing into the trans. vVYPMLP.jpg   I think It might have Termites...EbzzJka.jpg got it all apart, everything looked good, Almost all the clutches still have the ink labling, 4th gear clutches where decent, but the steels showed some slippage  as they had some burn marks. Everything all stacked in the order they came out. Its not my first trans build, I've been doing this kinda shit for over 20 years so I do things  a little different from first time builders. Aqvlkhs.jpg   I have a cheap piston compressor I got off amazon  works good for 90% of my builds, but sometime i get into a deep drum like this and I need to improvise  cause the threaded rod isnt long enough. HtQpNrQ.jpg  got all the seals replaced and noticed on the side of the drum it was weighted I doubled checked the drum from the GTP trans and it didnt have a weight on it, I have no idea if this was  a normal thing, or if GM took the time to balance these parts because they where going in the police cars . others may know, These are the first 4T65's I have done. 9VQWgGK.jpg started reassembling Sure was nice having the bell housing bolted to the tabletop  . Qx6Gy3T.jpg Spag was in there just to turn the assy in the trans to line stuff up . and new the Hard work is done, I went with the stock GTP drive and driven sprockets instead of the Luminas 35-35 sprockets one cause I will be using the GTP ECM for now and 2 I'd like to maintain some form of gas mileage. I did run across a problem with the PA Cargo kit It was a good kit, and a Master kit with everything, but the input clutches where for a 2003 and up 4T65 with the 30 spline clutches, 2002-97 had 32 splines, so im not sure if their thinking people are going to upgrade to a newer diode type sprag from the newer transmissions or what, I tried contacting them about the mix up. but the guy I was chatting with kept asking me for the kit number and application after I had given him the info in the first message i sent him, so I basically got nowhere , I was able to use my old clutches  because they where the exact same thickness as the new ones. and just used the new steels. so if you are looking for a master kit, be aware and find someone elses kit.  Also I bought a new Hardened 4 gear input shaft and a new Hardened pump shaft fo go in this, even with only 121k on these parts the splines on the ones in the lumina where almost at the point of stripping. Stock chain had plenty of life left. It was well within the 1/4 of an inch clearance to any part of the case GM specs. OW5houD.jpg wEMpMec.jpg  so thats it for now, Im also using a Transgo shift correction kit, in the valve body and servos , so Ill be working on that next. 

Well , changed the seals in the pressure switch, they where not bad, but I had new ones in the kit so why not. Nu6ez69.jpg the accumulator pistons where not too nasty , cleaned em up and swapped in the new Transgo springs. and new seals . kzGidpZ.jpg got the valve body cleaned up and the new boost valve assembled and installed, all the Valves looked good and all the solenoids checked good with all resistances in spec, didnt get any pics before the install was busy trying to get it done. Valve body is done and the side cover bolted down I reinstalled the servos accumulators and installed a new filter grommet and filter. VoehijB.jpg and its all done. 3EyvOsV.jpg  the engine bay is cleaned up and I just have to get in and tidy up some hose covers that get a bit frayed with pressure washing itSDgMgaa.jpg.  for giggles I looked at the pressure switch from the GTP and found the third gear switch and the TCC  membranes where in top of the sealing ring,  no way they where sealing and that may have been the cause of death for the transmission. Not sure how that would have happened  but sure enough there is was.I had already removed the 3rd gear one to test the switch. the one Im pointing to is the TCC switch, both these are normally closed until pressure is applied then they open the circuit . 2WijWG0.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well didnt seem like anyone was interested, so I stopped updating. But seeing as how its thanksgiving, I figured Id drop some updates . it had a miss when I fired it up and I didnt run it very long, come to find out It had a stuck injector. Replaced them with a set out of a L67 regal in the junkyard and it ran perfect second time around but the exhaust had a ton of raw fuel in it.

I can report after driving it for 2 months even just drove down to GA and picked up a set of wheels for my van in it and got 30.1 MPG for the trip down and 29 on the way back 

Its a good swap, engine ran strong as first, then It developed a intermittent miss that was there with the NA engine. Figured it might be the FP , tested the pressure using my little mity-vac on the blow side to simulate boost at the regulator and got damn near 75psi, so I knew the pump was fine. so i swapped coils, no change, I just used shit I had laying around. Then I got to thinking , I used the original iridium plugs from the L67 mainly because im a cheap ass and all of them were still 0.060 gap  so i used em, well for giggled I swapped in 3 rapid fires i had from the L36 so I and It wasnt much better, still had the misfire in low rpm high load situations like passing , or going uphill, so I picked up a set of NGK tr55s and swapped them in last night pulled the front three out and found this.

Installed the new plugs and Problem solved, Purrs like a sewing machine.  and was showing 31 mpg on the test drive..lol  and ran 15.4 with a ton of wheels spin from a stop.

20201125_164711.jpg

20201125_164659.jpg

20201125_164639.jpg

Screenshot_20201125-180512_Torque.jpg

Screenshot_20201125-175610_Torque.jpg

Screenshot_20201123-120901_Torque.jpg

didnt try hard to drive it easy at all, just alot of interstate driving , but a good quarter of it was 2 lane back roads.

Hell tonight coming back from my buddies in clover,S.C. its mostly 2 lane back roads  and some some 70 mph running on a freeway we have , I got 32 time I was almost at home.  long time average is up to 29 

Screenshot_20201126-173904_Torque.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ive never seen it that bad on 3 plugs  either

Also , checked my mileage the old fashioned way on this tank  My torque app said was a 28 mpg average turned out to really be 21..lol so i need to adjust the fuel economy average in the settings on torque to bring it down.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well finally got around to changing the receiver drier and the high pressure service fitting and recharging the AC system, and while I was doing that I had to Tinker with the fans a little bit because one had a bad connection on the passenger side and the fuse was blown for fan 3 so once I replace the fuse and got the fans working for some reason I looked over at the radiator that I pulled out of the Grand Prix GTP and I looked at the fans and they look like they were a lot more efficient than the stock cooling fans on the Lumina because they had a lot more shrouded area. So I pulled the fan shroud off of the radiator and set out to installing it in the Lumina and sure enough I had to remove both dog bones and the one radiator support mount along with the airbox once I did that the fans dropped in like they were made for the Lumina and they work like a champ. AC works way better sitting at a stoplight now in traffic.

20210627_102831.jpg

20210627_102820.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 10:31 PM, mechanic58 said:

Pewp.

I can't hear you over the sound of your 3.4 NOT running.