LQ1 mileage?

57lxi

Been keeping track of my mileage on my 95 CSV. So far, low of 11 and a high of 16 in town. Clean air filter, no codes and plugs look good. No slipping trans. I don’t tromp on it, much😏. Runs strong and idles smooth. Only 86k on the clock. My lead sled, NA, 3800 in my 95 Olds 88 would get consistent high teens in town. High 20’s on highway with AC on and 70-80mph cruise speed. Haven’t had CS on road trip yet. Normal? RPO codes show a 3.43 gearing. A lot shorter than the 2.83 in the 88.🤔

• 3 weeks later...

I average 15-19mpg. Highway pretty consistent with 24mpg. 

Lets put this into perspective. 

History: 1995 LQ1 sedan, swapped 3800 for LQ1. Kept the LQ1 transmission.  Averaged highway 24ish mpg.  Took out the LQ1 trans and used regal 3:29FDR trans. Automatically went up to 26-27mpg. 

LQ1 trans is HD 3:41 FDR.  Awesome for getting the engine into its peak performance quickly. There is a cost to that.  I can tell you there was a definate performance trade off.  

If you want more performance the LQ1 FDR is a good upgrade.  or Gas mileage then... you got it 

Edited by pshojo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Psych0matt said:

I usually get closer to 22 to 24, but I’m sure having a five speed definitely helps. Your mileage may vary, pun intended!

5 speed, and manual helps a ton! 20% more torque, less slippage, and one more gear to keep LQ1 in best power range