Blend door reset & AC fans

57lxi

Gonna tackle replacing both blend actuators on my 95 CSV with ECC. Driver side is tits up so I figure passenger side isn’t far behind. Is there a required reset procedure.

On my 95, 88 with NA 3800, both fans would come on when AC was on. Noticed on the CS, only one fan comes on. Is this correct operation for the fans? 

• 3 weeks later...

Started blend actuator project today. Came to a screaming halt. Could not find passenger side actuator. Had glove box out. Ditto on drivers side. Can I gain better access if I pull radio and ECC panel?  Pull console? Aborted project till I have more time. Looks like it’s gonna be a beach of a job no matter what. Searched threads and YouTube with no definitive results. FSM not much help either.

It's on the side of the HVAC blend box back there, it's a pain to get to in the 2G cars, so I imagine it's even worse in a first gen. I doubt pulling the radio would help. Remove all the hush panels out from underneath the passenger dash and see if you get up under there to look at it. 

For a relearn, I'd just pull the ECC fuse (there should be one). 

28 minutes ago, digitaloutsider said:

It's on the side of the HVAC blend box back there, it's a pain to get to in the 2G cars, so I imagine it's even worse in a first gen. I doubt pulling the radio would help. Remove all the hush panels out from underneath the passenger dash and see if you get up under there to look at it. 

For a relearn, I'd just pull the ECC fuse (there should be one). 

I replaced the passenger blend door actuator last year in my '98 and it wasn't that bad to replace, I just had to remove the glovebox. No clue where it is on my '96 though since I don't have dual climate control in that one.

The blend door actuator is dead simple to replace on the 1st gen.  A few bolts to take the cover off, and then just reach in there, undo another 2 or 3 screws...  

If the actual blend door has been dislocated, which actually happened to me..requires dissassembly of the lower dash.  If there's any evidence of the heater core leaking, may as well do that when you're in there.  

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2020 at 2:35 AM, pitzel said:

Okay here's a video of the blend door actuator.  Pretty easy to access and service:

https://youtu.be/5Nk1W0YjqJo?t=1926

Would this also apply to my 97 Cutlass Coupe with the split side cool/heat mode? Sometimes it will stick in one or the other, cooling one side and heating the other, or vice versa.

• 1 month later...

sorry had to update this....

I bought a new actuator for the blend door. Installed it and noticed nothing changed with the air when I set it from 60 to 90 degrees. I hear the system adjust but nothing from the feel of the air. 
I then unhooked the actuator from the door and left it hanging with the power intact. I did the same process as before, but noticed the the actuator is not turning one way or the other. Just stayed in the middle. 
i then unplugged it from the car. I hooked a 9volt up and it does move.

any idea what I need to do next? Is there a fuse I need to test (if so where and how). Thank you again... so close! I’m tempted to leave it off so I can get cold air for the summer.

Edited by Mstg007