EVO bypassed. ABS lights on

WillCut

1995 3.4 CSC
After disconnecting ---- actually the sensor cracked at the plug so it kinda disconnected itself. Now the ABS light is on and my ABS is disabled.

I assume the EVO and ABS are controlled by the same system. Does anyone know if I can put a resistor across the EVO connector to get my ABS back? if so, what ohms?!?!

Thanks!

Electric Variable Orifice? as in the steering assist option? 

To be honest I've never dealt with EVO (on a w-body) but I am rather sure that its NOT part of the EBCMs functions. 

I would personally qualify it as a coincidence and get the codes checked to see what code the EBCM is throwing to cause your ABS lamp.

Not actually having had to deal with this system, I'm not in the know if that solenoid is a generic assembly used on all of the FWD steering pumps (the reservoir will be different), but check Rockauto for this.......

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/pontiac,2000,grand+am,3.4l+v6,1359312,steering,power+steering+pump,7380

Part image

Part image

Edited by 55trucker

Not sure what im looking at. None of those come with the actual sensor. yes, they have the sensor version but you are supposed to take yours out and put it in the new pump. so, no joy.

23 hours ago, WillCut said:

Not sure what im looking at. None of those come with the actual sensor. yes, they have the sensor version but you are supposed to take yours out and put it in the new pump. so, no joy.

That's the same pump you have but mounted to a different fwd application (the housing is clocked to a different angle & another reservoir fitted to it), it has the EVO solenoid,

guess you'll have to pick up the phone & call BBB Industries to find out if what they picture includes the solenoid or possibly if they will supply just the solenoid.

On 1/21/2020 at 12:31 AM, jman093 said:

If you're hellbent on disabling your variable assist and want to know the ohms of the solenoid, why not just measure the ohms with an ohm meter?

Because mine is broke and I cant find a replacement. I had two shops try to rebuild it and eventually they cracked off the connector.
Other EVO's most likely open the orifice at different supplied ohms, this is what a parts person at GM told me. I thought the easiest way would be to bypass the EVO but the side effect is the ABS  being disabled. I was hoping to find out the fully open ohms setting so I can bridge the connector with a resistor and trick the computer into thinking everything is working and enabling my ABS.

Per Masterpro, 734-57107P1 for the 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass EVO solenoid is no longer in stock or being made.

Edited by WillCut
additional info

It seems to me, that you're either making this much harder than it has to be, or you're being cheap?

What is the error code?
Find the error code, then look into a GM Dealer Service Manual.
GM is Very Good at describing the tests, and the results that set the error codes.  That description for the error code will tell you what resistance range the test is checking for.

Get a Dealer Service Manual from ebay.
I see a set now for a massive $30.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1995-GM-Pontaic-Buick-Regal-Monte-Carlo-Chevrolet-Service-Manual-GMP-95-W-1/292810404984
2 1995 GM Pontaic Buick Regal Monte Carlo Chevrolet Service Manual GMP/95-W-1

On ebay search for:
(1995, 95) service manual W

Since their search engine is often wonky, also search for:
1995 service manual W
95 service manual W

Note, for GM, depending on the year/model, for the GM Service Manual, you search by the platform.  Although, some sellers may list the models, and not the platform.  So, you can search for the models covered by that year and platform also.

Good Luck!

Edited by Cutlass350

I did not know. I have the 2 volume service manual already. I'm not a mechanic so I didnt think they would have the resistance value the system is looking for.

Edited by WillCut
because

• 2 months later...

10k ohm worked. I just put it inside the end of the connector and taped it up.

This is reference in the future for anyone else who is "being cheap" or cant find it in the manual.

• 2 years later...

Having the same issue with a 96 gtp. Car came stock with evo steering. Of course someone replaced the pump and evo is unplugged. Has abs light on c1273 code present. Tried the 10k ohm resistor. Abs light goes away. But soon as it's driven 10mph abs light back on. Same code c1273. Any one else encounter this. Thanks again