LQ1 3.4L DOHC V6 Timing Belt Change

MemphisMan

Beautiful!  It looks to be in fantastic shape.  The paint, the front bumper valence, looks really nice!  Do you have the factory CD option? 

Although white isn't my first choice color, I have come around to it.  I own two white W's and one day, I hope to have them looking like yours, nice and shiny!  Thank you for posting and we all look forward to your future projects on your beauty!

7Dvbjp[1].jpg

YsWXmf[3].jpg

Jy3vue[1].jpg

Odcg9M[1].jpg

20190622_074007[1].jpg

20190622_074025[1].jpg

20190813_115931[1].jpg

Hey Jiggity, You got yourself some keepers there Yes they are great cars, sometimes a pain to work on but I like the room inside don't like to be cramped up like some other coupe vehicles, I didn't get the cd option in this one, it has the cassette/am fm still works like new always getting offers to sell the car , maybe one day i'm getting older and don't really have the flexibility to get in these tight spaces to work on it  although I have done  most of the major stuff  that seemed to plague these cars. timing belt,  lim gaskets, alt. oil pump seal, so hopefully i wont need to get under the hood for awhile .  just gas and go ....lol 

44 minutes ago, cessna said:

Hey Jiggity, You got yourself some keepers there Yes they are great cars, sometimes a pain to work on but I like the room inside don't like to be cramped up like some other coupe vehicles, I didn't get the cd option in this one, it has the cassette/am fm still works like new always getting offers to sell the car , maybe one day i'm getting older and don't really have the flexibility to get in these tight spaces to work on it  although I have done  most of the major stuff  that seemed to plague these cars. timing belt,  lim gaskets, alt. oil pump seal, so hopefully i wont need to get under the hood for awhile .  just gas and go ....lol 

Thank you!  I have been wrenching on cars for awhile now and I've been really enjoying working on both of these cars.  I must have a high patience level as these motors, etc haven't been that bad at all.  I have a ways to go but I'll get there!

It's great that you have maintained your car so well thru your ownership, many of them have been thrown away for the reasons you mentioned.  It will definitely live a long life in your hands and I hope you still get excited driving it!

Feel free to chime in when I start to do motor repairs.  I'm learning and I want to do things right!

Yes, it took me many years to find the Olds and 15+ years to find the Pontiac so they are not going anywhere!

Edited by jiggity76

Hey Memphis man i was looking at 83,000 miles when i replaced the timing belt,tensioner,pulleys it was  an all day project for me as it was the first one that i have done in this fashion i'm used to working on timing chains not belts so marking the positions, and working with the tensioner was an experience for me, also stretching  the belt around the pulleys  was fun but got it done and it runs great, your video would have been a big help for me during that time but I would like to say thanks for all the info you post it is definitely appreciated by all on here i'm sure. I haven't been on this site in awhile but will be checking in more often its good to see people helping each other out Thanks again for all you do I wish I would have taken video when I did mine but only pics just for my own reminder for assembly   

Hey jiggity, I also like the truck you have brings back great memory's owned many  Chevrolets threw the years 68,70,72,76 now I own a diesel 2009 but used to really enjoy working on the older gas engine Chevrolets changed many motors over the years.

34 minutes ago, cessna said:

Hey jiggity, I also like the truck you have brings back great memory's owned many  Chevrolets threw the years 68,70,72,76 now I own a diesel 2009 but used to really enjoy working on the older gas engine Chevrolets changed many motors over the years.

Thanks Man!  I love it too although it's not getting a lot of love right now due to my W's taking up my time and resources.  It will again someday.  It started out as a white truck but the body was so rotted thanks to years of the previous owner driving it thru Winter road salt, I had to do a body swap.  It's the very sought after 1987 model with the 5.7 TBI motor, 4x4 with the front dual shock option, cruise and A/C, dual tanks, but has the vinyl floor and manual windows/locks.  I added the factory aluminum rims from a good running 91 GMC Suburban 4x4 and found another 87 Silverado that was a rust free Southern donor truck for the body swap.  The frame is in surprisingly incredible condition, no rust and still had all the original paint on it from factory. 

Concerning the last pic on the black tailgate, an interesting story.  I had a hard time finding a rust free one, most places in the rust free regions weren't willing to ship one too me or it would have cost me a fortune!  I actually found this black one here in Iowa, about an hour from me.  A little tiny CL ad, the guy I bought it from was in his 90's, him and his wife bought a brand new 85 Silverado and they removed the tailgate because they were putting a truck camper in the bed.  Their new truck was only a couple of weeks old and he took the tailgate off and wrapped it in a blanket, put it up in his garage loft and there it sat for 30+ years!  They sold the truck and he totally forgot it was up there until he was cleaning out the garage.  I bought it and the perfect stainless steel "Chevrolet" tailgate trim for $250.  I sold the trim piece recently for $200 to a friend of mine who is restoring the Chevrolet version of mine.  Since mine is a GMC, that's what's going back on it eventually.  I found a perfect one on Ebay.

wBxpw0[1].jpg

MbkHjI[2].jpg

Co9mGL[1].jpg

omoaP5[2].jpg

MNbt5m[3].jpg

rf9VOl[2].jpg

dkqbXS[2].jpg

r6sPkr[2].jpg

aY8JjW[1].jpg

6aM52e[2].jpg

m3Sb0O[1].jpg

2019-01-15 18.06.28.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It’s been awhile since this was posted, but I used a wooden dowel to find TDC on mine.  Glad I did, because the timing mark on the dampener was off by about 6 degrees.  The plug location makes it easy to determine TDC...turn the engine by hand till the dowel stops rising on #1, and mark the position on the damper with chalk.  Turn backwards, and do the same, and mark.  TDC will be between the two chalk marks...mark that spot with paint.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

so i got a question when motor is TDC are both cam Flats suppose to be show like picture 1 cause i rotated motor 3 times and i got flats closes to front of car and on picture 2 the back of the car flats are down and is that normal for TDC with stock timing a youtube video i watched said both cam flats have to be up, is that for retarding the timing?

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

at TDC one bank should have the cam flats facing up, the other bank down. looking at that last picture it looks like the intake cam is off a tooth

yeah intake jumped a tooth i'll adjust it when i take belt off thanks! i wasn't sure what they all met by flats been up if they had to be both up which didn't make sense cause of it been DOHC

58 minutes ago, chris_19 said:

yeah intake jumped a tooth i'll adjust it when i take belt off thanks! i wasn't sure what they all met by flats been up if they had to be both up which didn't make sense cause of it been DOHC

The cam flats should ONLY be facing up when you're getting ready to time the engine thru the timing belt.  In other words, all 4 cams and cam flats should be facing up when timing the motor.  Otherwise, like what White93Z34 is saying, one set of flats should be facing up and the other set should be facing down.

Edited by jiggity76

so when i take the belt off and put the new one on i should make sure all cam flats are facing up? or do u mean timing as in not factory timed cause shouldn't TDC be already timed to what ever the factory is set to?

I guess the first question is what year is your motor?

These are different from pretty much every other DOHC I've worked on. there are no cam timing marks you're supposed to pull the cogs and let them loose while you time it, while locking down the cams, then tighten the cogs back down on the cams.

This of course all requires special service tools, fortunately if you have a 94+ engine the cogs don't require a special puller and the cam tool could be made from basic flat bar stock.

Over the years I've seen a number of people take different approaches to doing the job without the required tools with varying degrees of success. 

I was reading the service manual tonight after you posted, its been too long since I did one of these.

its a 96 old's supreme im just replacing timing belt which i got motor to TDC so everything should be timed already from factory, been the belt was on vehicle and never broke

At THAT many miles I do not suggest cutting corners on the process of servicing the timing belt. If you skip the process of releasing the camshaft cogs then you cannot properly retime the cams to crankshaft because of the now stretched timing chain. At 240,000 miles I'd be servicing the timing chain as well, but that's not easy to do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chris_19 said:

240k roughly

Please take 55trucker's advice seriously.  I will be doing the timing chain on both of my W's.  Not nearly as many miles as yours but chains do stretch and it all begins with the chain.  My 91 LQ1 International coupe is not running.  The dealer is saying it's due to the chain being off.  I've retimed everything already thru the belt but since the chain is off, it doesn't matter, mine still won't run after the fact.

im not doing that been car ran 100% fine and i already checked timing and everything is timed perfectly which i checked via rotating motor minus the tooth of intake been off but thats easy fix

thanks for the help tho

Edited by chris_19

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...