91 Cutlass Cracked Windshield HELP!!!

Mark1:15

Hey everyone! So I have a 91 Cutlass Convertible which after a year and a half of work on the engine I have a smooth running car. However, the windshield has a major crack that spans across the majority of the glass. I recently took the vehicle to safe light to have them replace it, but they could not as the frame is rusted out and they could not find replacement seals for the windshield or door pealer seals. I do not have the money or time to have a body job on the car as I am a full-time student. Does anyone know of a place where I could find replacement seals and/or have any suggestions about the frame? I really want to save this car as I love to drive it, however, the need for transportation dictates I have to get rid of the vehicle if I cannot fix the windshield soon. 

At some point, either the windshield was replaced with the wrong sealing product, or you just live in an area known for rust. The sealer will not stick to the rust, and you only option is to pull the windshield, and sand it down, and hope there is enough metal to bond correctly.... OR, to weld in a new piece of windshield channel.

As far as the seals go, your going to have to call around to all the windshield companies in your area, and see if you can locate someone local that has the windshield, and seals, in stock, or can get them.

Thats really the only options.

You must fix the rust, as the windshield sits in a location, that inbetween the baking sun, rain/snow and other environmental effects, it will only get worse, and at a very speedy rate.

Although only the first 7 minutes are directly related to your question,  later in the video, he goes into detail about the other things that you may not have even thought about for damage (carpets, EVAP, etc).

Edited by pontiac6ksteawd

14 minutes ago, pontiac6ksteawd said:

At some point, either the windshield was replaced with the wrong sealing product, or you just live in an area known for rust. The sealer will not stick to the rust, and you only option is to pull the windshield, and sand it down, and hope there is enough metal to bond correctly.... OR, to weld in a new piece of windshield channel.

As far as the seals go, your going to have to call around to all the windshield companies in your area, and see if you can locate someone local that has the windshield, and seals, in stock, or can get them.

Thats really the only options.

You must fix the rust, as the windshield sits in a location, that inbetween the baking sun, rain/snow and other environmental effects, it will only get worse, and at a very speedy rate.

Although only the first 7 minutes are directly related to your question,  later in the video, he goes into detail about the other things that you may not have even thought about for damage (carpets, EVAP, etc).

I've been following this big dude for awhile now, very entertaining and he seems to know what he's doing.  Very cool to see him fixing really damaged vehicles. 

16 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

I've been following this big dude for awhile now, very entertaining and he seems to know what he's doing.  Very cool to see him fixing really damaged vehicles. 

He does do a good job, and he seems to have an affinity for GM vehicles, and a hatred for Fords LOL. His recent Mustang project looks to be interested thou

Ive scoured the interwebez for any company that has any or might be willing to reproduce the W-Body Cutlass convertible seals and the only place Ive seen them is on Ebay, and they were limited and pricey then, assuming you`re talking about the A-pillar seals. 

The parts are just too scarce to maintain the convertibles, 3D printing rubber-like materials might be a viable solution at some point in the future.

FYI check this link https://www.w-body.com/topic/45026-found-a-source-for-windshield-rubber-glass-seal/?page=2

They talk about a product from what I think is now at this site (but I can't find it there) https://new.cliphouse.com/

They talk about this part number WFSD1005A which you can search on google, not sure if that will help you any! It is listed at a site called PGW Autoglass and they call it GM Hook Fillerstrip. Who knows, maybe if you contact either of these- they might have some leads.

Also this https://www.jegs.com/i/Precision/757/WFS+D1005+A/10002/-1
Replaces the GM part number 10285433.
Or this https://www.prp.com/product/detail/100091?SearchType=AGR&sort=u.Name&paginationCount=24&year=1991&make=Oldsmobile&model=Cutlass&type=All
Again, not sure if thats what you need, just putting it out there.

The other thing people have talked about in the past is using FWD GM A body parts/seals. Just throwing it all out there!

Edited by sean1991olds