1999 9C3 lumina

Jim_rockford_007

Well I found out Friday coming home that it doesn't have a speed limiter below 115 mile-an-hour at least if it has one I didn't run into it and as far as the transmission shifting this 4t65 seems to have a pretty good strategy. The shifts are nice and quick and it doesn't seem to do any hunting looking for the right gear to be in I don't know if these 9c3 is got a different strategy on the transmission side of the programming or not. I currently don't have any program to tune in OBD2 car I just have the dongle that plugs in to the port that I can monitor stuff via Bluetooth not sure if I could send a tune through it.

Generally GM's speed limiters match whatever the speed rating on the OEM tires were. As far as transmission tables, in my experience they're generally the same between the regular car and the 9C1/3 counterparts. 

The car cannot be flashed with standard ELM-type Bluetooth dongle, but can be tuned with HPTuners. Or if you can find an old used DHP setup or TunerCATS.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really see a point in tuning an otherwise stock engine, especially if you were looking at paying somebody to do it. If you want to improve the performance you'd get much better results finding a junkyard strut bar and replacing worn bushings/struts.

4 hours ago, Jim_rockford_007 said:

well I had planned on leaving it stock, but plans might have changed and I may be buying a 98 regal to do a top swap ..lol 

By top swap you mean to install the supercharger right? Might as well do an entire subframe swap,. the supercharged 3800 has forged internals so it would be worth the effort.

On 1/17/2020 at 11:05 PM, Amanita said:

By top swap you mean to install the supercharger right? Might as well do an entire subframe swap,. the supercharged 3800 has forged internals so it would be worth the effort.

well the rods are really powdered metal forged, more for cost savings rather than strength Powdered metal roads are faster to produce than cast and you are have beeter weight control of the finished product so you dont have to wast time  cleaning up the raw casting. 

good news is its home and it runs...

• 1 year later...