FE-3 vs FE- 1 Rear Sway Bar

bluecalais79

For my 1996 CS 2 Door I was wondering what the thoughts are about whether there's any noticeable performance/handling difference between the 11mm FE-1 and the 14mm FE-3 rear sway bars. I bought the 14mm rear bar a while back and it needs to be bead blasted & re-painted before it were to be installed. I'm currently using the front shock tower brace found on convertible, and I bought one of those rear strut tower braces from AWEB80. So I've got the uppers covered. The lower sways are both the original FE-1. This was a very low mileage car when I got it and both these lower bars are mint original so I'm hedging on changing them unless the handling would really make it worth it. 

I've given up on trying to find an ADDCO rear bar, they just aren't out there in any condition. 

The car is laid up for the winter now, come spring I'm going to be getting some new lower control arms, ball joints, etc installed. 

Edited by bluecalais79

I didnt know there was multiple CS rear sway bars available. I snagged a rear sway bar from a 98-99 Lumina Carlo LTZ that was thicker than the one on an older Grand Prix coupe but the same shape. It nearly fits but pushes the rear struts out enough to worry me about the leaf spring popping out of place, rear coil overs would solve that problem. Or if that bar could be heated up and bent inward just a little bit it would be a perfect fit.  

Actually having a rear sway bar vs those infinity looking rubber infinity auxillary springs makes the difference, you might go for a thicker LQ1 FE3 front sway bar and replace all your bushings with the Energy Suspension poly bushings. Those do make a difference over stock. Ive got a Aweb RTSB as well as a Vert bar in the front, as well as a 34mm FE3 sway bar down below. Needs new struts and tires but my 1994 can take the corners pretty good once you can reduce the chassis roll.

10 minutes ago, ManicMechanic said:

The thickest rear was on the 1995-96 Monte Carlo Z34. I think it hits the exhaust on 1st gens though if I remember right.

I was just at this yard yesterday grabbing some underhood hardware from this 95 Z34.  I didn't know that and maybe I could have grabbed the rear sway.

20191220_120003[1].jpg

Thanks all, unless I happen to stumble on the Addco bar for the rear I will probably keep things as they are, the car does great with the convertible FSTB and the RSTB I got from AWEB80 and the V rated Coopers I bought for it earlier this year. 

This would be a great ride to the Olds Nationals next year, plus over 30 mpg pure hwy to boot. In fact, the only way I would ditch this ride would be if I found a low mileage well cared for Sunroof CS. Now that's asking for alot.

On 12/21/2019 at 1:14 PM, rich_e777 said:

I didnt know there was multiple CS rear sway bars available. I snagged a rear sway bar from a 98-99 Lumina Carlo LTZ that was thicker than the one on an older Grand Prix coupe but the same shape. It nearly fits but pushes the rear struts out enough to worry me about the leaf spring popping out of place, rear coil overs would solve that problem. 

The lateral arms would prevent that from happening, would they not?  They aren't stretching.  

On 12/21/2019 at 1:14 PM, rich_e777 said:

that bar could be heated up and bent inward just a little bit it would be a perfect fit. 

DO NOT HEAT the bar.  You will ruin the temper.  Bend it cold, or leave it alone.

On 12/22/2019 at 5:16 PM, pitzel said:

The lateral arms would prevent that from happening, would they not?  They aren't stretching.  

True, I have the GOT2BGM 1st gen lateral links that I matched up to the originals and it may have been the process I was attempting that was holding me up. As I was writing this and thinking back about it I wonder if adding some washers to the outer rear sway bracket to space it out 1/4" on either side would compensate for no sway bar bending. I think it`ll work and itching to try now.

I'm also fitting this to a car with custom exhaust so Manic brings up a good point about factory exhaust rub.

• 3 weeks later...

Mesured my front and rear bars today while I was replacing my engine and transmission mounts 

1999 9C3 lumina , 35mm bar up front and 20mm in the rear. 

On 12/21/2019 at 8:23 PM, ManicMechanic said:

The thickest rear was on the 1995-96 Monte Carlo Z34. I think it hits the exhaust on 1st gens though if I remember right.

It was an absolute pain in the ass to install but mine didn't hit the exhaust on my grand prix, though I haven't pushed the car enough to know if it will never hit it when under stress.

Edited by Amanita