Illuminated driver's side door lock.

jiggity76

Does anyone know of this system?  Both my 89 parts car and 91 International have this option.  Well, the 91 car is missing it due to the door replacement but the 89 car has it.  Well, I somehow lost the actual illuminated part of the key lock.  I'm going to look tomorrow to see if the system is still intact on the 89 car so that I can transfer it over to the 91 car.  Does anyone know if these are still attainable or am I screwed.  I want to keep it intact and get it working.  Please let me know if anyone has gone thru this.  Thank you!

Edited by jiggity76

You lost as in you physically lost the parts? Or lost the functionality? It's a very simple system. There is a bulb fixture behind the door panel (I think it's a 194 bulb) and a fiber optic strand that runs up to the lock itself.

If you're talking about obtaining it from the dealer, I would be dumbfounded if any dealer had these in stock in the 1990s, let alone now.

I've been talking with MemphisMan, there is a ring that basically clips around the key cylinder and two wires that are soldered on.  I'm guessing the wires plug into the harness that runs thru the door and yes, I agree about the bulb.  I'm going to open up the parts car and the 91 car and see if I can figure this out. 

That's what I'm worried about.  I lost the illuminated ring.  I've tore apart my parts room and I don't know where it's at.  Unless I left it in the white car or parts car.  I'll look again tomorrow.  One good thing, MemphisMan said his 95 vert has this option so I might have better chances of finding one in a yard either thru a newer coupe or vert.  Thanks digital!

Now that you mention it, the coupes and sedans might be different and I'm thinking of the sedans. My old LE definitely had the fiber optic cable, I guess the coupes go right onto the lock cylinder. MOST GPs and Cutlasses seem to have it, at least as I can best recall. I don't believe Luminas ever got it. Regals I dunno. 

I found the part # for the illuminated lock.  I called my local GM dealer this morning and they confirmed the part # of 16608789 LAMP ASY to be correct.  They then did a search and came up with 1 NOS unit in NE at a GM dealer.  I called them this morning and the parts person actually found it!  Took him a few minutes but he also couldn't believe it was there!  He described it too me and it seems to match the one I need.  It cost me $76 bucks with shipping and should be here tomorrow.  I hope it's the right one and will post it when it gets here.

Part # 60 in the illustration and description.

20191216_104225[1].jpg

20191216_104247[1].jpg

20191216_104130[1].jpg

Edited by jiggity76

21 minutes ago, digitaloutsider said:

Your ability to find parts that haven't been made since the Clinton administration never fails to amaze me.

LOL!  Thanks!  I've been very lucky and I guess I'm willing to put in the work. 

By the way, I just looked at the parts car.  I bet this is the wiring harness for the lock.  It's only on the driver's door which makes sense since it wasn't offered on the passenger door.  The white and orange wires going thru the oval hole up towards the top of the panel.  This wiring harness is absent in this same area on the passenger door.  I can't remember if I seen this on the white 91 car.  I'll have to look at old pics when I had the panel off of that one.

20191216_112019[1].jpg

20191216_112027[1].jpg

• Like 1

So, I'm an idiot!  I did it again!  Due to my scatter brain, I just went and looked, yeah, the parts car still has it.  I thought I pulled it already and was worried I had already pulled it but lost it in my parts room.  It's not the easiest to get to the driver's door since my Super Duty is next to it so I just couldn't go out and check.  I had to move the truck and open the door from the outside.  But I was thinking about it...if the wire was still mounted on the door, and the wire is connected to the illuminated ring, it still has to be on the car and that's why I checked.

Sorry guys to put you thru this, my own enemy in this case...AGAIN!  At least I have an NOS one coming and this one as well.  Not sure if it works anymore and I don't see a bulb anywhere so the ring itself must be it's own bulb? I don't know.

h3aIn8[1].jpg

86QwWf[1].jpg

20191216_141335[1].jpg

20191216_140902[1].jpg

20191216_150733[1].jpg

20191216_150749[1].jpg

20191216_150810[1].jpg

1 hour ago, jiggity76 said:

20191216_140902[1].jpg

(cop car in background)

I saw this and immediatly thought of Bill Engvall/Jeff Foxworthy... Its the cops.. cops cops.. Be Quiet, Act natural!

25 minutes ago, pontiac6ksteawd said:

(cop car in background)

I saw this and immediatly thought of Bill Engvall/Jeff Foxworthy... Its the cops.. cops cops.. Be Quiet, Act natural!

LOL!  That's hilarious and didn't even see the car until now!  That's my friend Glenn Goode, he's a DOT Officer for the State of Iowa.  He was picking up his dad who lives in my apartment building.  Good eye, that's his 2011 Dodge Charger Police package car he bought brand new in the Spring of 2012.  It was a left over model, has the Hemi with cloth front bucket seats, column shift, no center console, and vinyl rear bench seat.  I asked him today actually, it's got 58,000 on it.  On the other side of my 87 GMC High Sierra 4x4 truck pictured there, he is storing his fiancé's Malibu.  He was also checking up on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Of all the features on my cars that one is my favorite and I could use 2 of those. Thanks for posting that P/N as I`m searching for another, I thought I`d have to mod something to get that to work again.

2 hours ago, rich_e777 said:

Of all the features on my cars that one is my favorite and I could use 2 of those. Thanks for posting that P/N as I`m searching for another, I thought I`d have to mod something to get that to work again.

No problem, I still can't believe I found one!  I slacked off a little bit as I was starting to revive the part numbers thread but I will try to update it there.  I'm going to put power to the International soon to see if the one from the parts car works.  That would be the best if it does work, then I would have two working ones!

Edited by jiggity76

Of course all the interweb search will come up with no results but I`m taking that part number to a few dealerships to see if another might be found on the other side of BFE.

First stop is a Buick dealer as that P/N came back with more Buick results than anything.

It seems like such a simple circuit to make with ebay diodes, solder and wire but I want to retain that vintage green LED light, makes me happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rich_e777 said:

Of course all the interweb search will come up with no results but I`m taking that part number to a few dealerships to see if another might be found on the other side of BFE.

First stop is a Buick dealer as that P/N came back with more Buick results than anything.

It seems like such a simple circuit to make with ebay diodes, solder and wire but I want to retain that vintage green LED light, makes me happy.

Fantastic!  I hope they're still a lot of them out there hiding somewhere.  My local GM dealer has been really great with helping me track down some of this rare stuff.

Just to be clear, I'm assuming they are a yellow light not a green one?  Or are you just wanting to change it to green?  I really don't want mine to be green.

I recall mine being a green color same as the factory stereo, I might have to pop the battery in the Vert to check again. Could be a yellowish green light IIRC

3 hours ago, jman093 said:

I remember my 93 Lumina being green as well.

My 93 GP is green also.  A quick search found at least one member stating a GP sedan(maybe STE?) had an amber illuminated entry light.

On 1/21/2020 at 3:50 AM, mfewtrail said:

My 93 GP is green also.  A quick search found at least one member stating a GP sedan(maybe STE?) had an amber illuminated entry light.

Very interesting!  I don't know if my 93 STE has this option but I guess I'll find out when I look at the cylinder or pull the door panel off.

Edited by jiggity76

Ok, an update!  So yes, the Lumina's have this feature.  A gentleman on FB has a beautiful 92 Z34 5 speed car and his illuminated door lock still works.  He sent me this pic.  The only question now...is his partially burnt out?  Only the bottom part of the ring is lighting up.  Isn't the entire ring suppose to illuminate?  So we know the Lumina and the Cutlass have a green light.  I wonder if the GP and Regal use a different color?

84526815_669241870511037_7830850846723145728_n[2].jpg

Edited by jiggity76
  • Like 1

MemphisMan just sent me a video of his working on his vert, looks the same as the one I pictured.  He thinks my NOS one should illuminated the entire ring since it's never been used and with age and UV rays, that's why they fail or partially light up.  Hopefully he posts the video.  If he doesn't, I could post it if he's ok with that.