TRW Keyless Entry module

Quaraxkad

Sorry for digging up a old topic.. Am I understanding correctly that if the grounding terminal is in the trunk, than the car has RKE?

Also, my power locks dont seem to be working at all, is there a place I should start on this.

I might have owned a W previously, but that was a long time ago....

Yeah, if there is a lead hanging back by the antenna or somewhere in that general area, the car should have RKE.

Non-working locks could be something as basic as a fuse, so I'd just start there.

3 hours ago, digitaloutsider said:

Yeah, if there is a lead hanging back by the antenna or somewhere in that general area, the car should have RKE.

Non-working locks could be something as basic as a fuse, so I'd just start there.

Where is the fuse located because my power looks work on my 92 GTP but can’t get it to go into programming mode and it has the correct RPO code. 

If the locks work, it's not the fuse. If it won't go into programming mode when you ground the lead in the trunk, the box itself is screwed and needs to be resoldered. 

34 minutes ago, digitaloutsider said:

If the locks work, it's not the fuse. If it won't go into programming mode when you ground the lead in the trunk, the box itself is screwed and needs to be resoldered. 

Awesome I appreciate it. Now to find someone to fix it cause I can’t solder to save my life. 

• Like 1

Pulled the power lock fuse out, and all the interior light went out, put the fuse back in, and the locks started working.. WTF?

Went and ground the wire in the trunk, and nothing... Well I guess I wont be fixing that.. But I do have power locks!

20 hours ago, digitaloutsider said:

The solder points on the box aren't small or intricate or anything, you could definitely do it yourself with a low cost iron. Good learning project.

I just wanted to second this. Earlier in this thread I said my keyless entry module was acting erratically in programming mode. I resoldered all the solder joints on both boards in the module and now it works great, both in my vehicle and on my test bench. The only annoying part is the conformal coating. It makes the iron want to slip off the solder joints. But you can still resolder through it without going through the trouble of trying to remove the coating. Just have to be careful as you're holding the iron.

If the module is acting up I would definitely recommend trying this. Add a little bit of new fresh solder to each joint as you do it.

• 1 year later...