1996 Cutlass- Console Lid Removal

bluecalais79

In my quest to convert my interior from beige to black, I scored a really nice black (graphite) console lid off the 1995 4 door I just grabbed some parts off of before it got sent off to the crusher. This lid is mint and I'd like to swap out my beige one for it. Trouble is, it prior owner busted the plastic hinge that holds it onto the console body. I want to swap both lids by just unscrewing the padded piece from the busted plastic piece underneath it, but does anyone know the trick to getting out the rear screw, it's not accessible while on the console and I don't want to break my hinge in my console.

It seems I will have to remove the whole lid but I will abandon the whole gig if I risk breaking my hinge

Removing the Console lid from the car is quite easy without breaking the hinge. There is one screw at the back of the console that needs to be removed, then you can pull the two halves of the console apart far enough to get the lid out. Be mindful of the two pieces, one on each side of the lid that come out too. May als recommend emptying the console first. Getting it in should be similar. 

As for getting the cover off the plastic base, I never tried it.