Power Seat Wiring Question- 1996 CS

bluecalais79

Yesterday I obtained a mint condition set of graphite front bucket seats out of a 1995 4 door CS. My primary objective for getting these seats actually was to get the power seat track as my Series III 1996 (2 door) CS lacks this option. I was able to get the orange wiring almost up to the junction box but unfortunately I had to cut it due to lack of time. 

I felt in the slit under my seat hoping I would find a power seat plug but there isn't one there. Be it this is a Series III car I figured that would be the case.

My question is, does anyone how I can re-configure the lead wire to make this set up work? Would I be able to just bypass the junction box and place the wire directly into the fuse panel where it's proper breaker is? Or, since I'm not to picky and can live with the seat working when the car's ignition is off, is there another correct gauge wire I can tap into to make it work.

One thing I will not be doing is routing the wire behind the console-behind the backseat-along the passengers side to the junction box/fuse panel. I will instead route the wire along the driver's side and travel it under the dash to the box/panel. Perhaps there's something along the way with a correct gauge wire I can tap into?

I am used to the wiring style found in my 79's, a plug on each end and you're done. I was really disappointed to find the  setup for the newer cars is hardwired into the junction box. I didn't want to butcher anything under there any more than I did, the car is going to be junked tomorrow and I didn't want to risk messing up the deal the scrapper might have with the car's owner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thx

Also, I'll say again, these seats are MINT! I haven't even cleaned them yet and they really pop. I got all of this stuff plus a few extra small stuff for $50 so I consider this to be the deal of the year. 

The sedan seats also don't have the fold-forward function, which might be a little annoying for a coupe. If you want to go back to the yard, you can just pull the power lead all the way from the C200 (the junction box up under the dashboard). The C200 comes apart (torx in the middle I think) and then you can pull the entire harness out of it. I don't remember how it interfaces with the fuse box because I know there's a fuse for power seats. It's been a LONG time since I've pulled one.

Thanks, that's probably why I'm more than likely going to swap out the power seat track with my seat. 

I did find this out though. I just got my 1996 Advanced Note Sales brochure and you could factory order a power seat in a Series III car. So, I opened the fuse plate on the right side of the dash and sure enough there is a 30A Circuit breaker in place for a power seat and there's an orange wire running from it in the direction of the junction box. 

So, my next task is to see if there's the right orange wire running from out behind the junction box down toward the right side of the dash toward the plastic conduit running along the door opening. If there is, I'm golden. I'll just shake it a bit and try and hear where the other end plug end is. I'm thinking it's tucked in somewhere under the carpet maybe by the back of the console. I snagged enough wiring off the parts car yesterday to get almost to the junction box so it's a win either way. 

If you have both wiring sockets in position D you should have a power seat orange wire leaving the fuse panel. You can see there are no fuse sockets in position A in the picture.

Power seat wire 010A.JPG

Thanks, got em there where they should be, it's looking good. I poked a flashlight and placed a mirror behind the fuse box and I was able to see the wires. I need to get in there but I only want to do this job once as I'm going to have to break the plastic fasteners holding the carpeted pieces under the glove box and also remove the glove box itself (if I need to do any wiring). I will need to get some replacement fasteners. When I pull all this stuff I am going to expect to see an orange wire running from behind the grey junction box toward and down under the floor carpet, that'll be the wire to the seat. Would make life easier.

But, if it's not there I will need to get my hands on a 1996 manual so I can see the schematics and place in the orange wire I got from the parts car into the right place on the junction box. I'll have to buy a correct end pin that will push into the plug/fastener on the junction box or something like that. I think they are available on e bay.

I'm going to make this work one way or another but I'm about to put the car away for the winter, it'll have to be next year.

According to the 96 service manual if you have the power seat D fuse (breaker) you should have the orange power wire to the seats.

The manual shows the wire running from the fuse panel (C200) along the passenger pinch weld and crossing over with a plug under both seats. Buick, Olds and Pontiac.

Drivers seat connector is C313 and passengers side connector is C314.

Picture shows drivers side plug C313 coming through slit in the carpet under the drivers seat.

Power seat wire 002A.JPG

Edited by ron350

Thanks for this, what you mention is what I'm anticipating seeing there once I remove the manual seats currently in the car. The carpet slit is there, the plug has to be there hidden somewhere, I just need to find it. That wiring being there though, is worth the price of admission.

As an aside, the lack of fold forward in the 2 seats I pulled will probably keep me from just plopping them into the car. I may put in the drivers side only. Even though almost no one ever sits in the back, it is still a safety issue if a time came where exiting the car quickly is needed. I could break down one or both of my seats and the ones I got and swap these parts out but why bother, too much work.

just a note, on one cutlass i had the connector for both drivers and passenger power seat was under the seat and Under the Carpet, taped to the main harness that crosses the floor board.