Saw a pretty CS coupe the other day

Human

It amazes me how seldom I see a W-body Cutlass Supreme on the road anymore. I get it, we're talking about cars that are 23-31 years old but still, I see plenty of Regals and Grand Prix's and even a fair number of Luminas and mid-late '90s Monte Carlos, but almost never a Cutlass, despite living in a city that had one of the top three Oldsmobile dealers in North Carolina. I'd had my '95 CS convertible for more than a year before I glimpsed another one crossing an intersection in front of me about a month ago but the day before yesterday, I pulled into a Walgreen's parking lot (in my Impala) and parked next to a very well maintained CS coupe, white with a tan interior. It was a later model ('95-'97) with the redesigned interior but a base trim level with cloth bucket seats manual climate controls and no steering wheel controls for the radio or A/C. One curious feature that it had was the rear lip on the taillights and trunk lid, usually associated with the 3.4L DOHC engine option but with a single exhaust, indicating it had the 3100 engine. The backup light bezel was also black instead of body color and it lacked the "DOHC" badging on the font fenders. My guess it was a '97 model and they were using up some leftover parts as they were winding down production, which Oldsmobile often did in that era. I would have liked to talk with the owner but it was cold and rainy so I just admired it for a moment and went on my way. 

18 minutes ago, Human said:

It amazes me how seldom I see a W-body Cutlass Supreme on the road anymore. I get it, we're talking about cars that are 23-31 years old but still, I see plenty of Regals and Grand Prix's and even a fair number of Luminas and mid-late '90s Monte Carlos, but almost never a Cutlass, despite living in a city that had one of the top three Oldsmobile dealers in North Carolina. I'd had my '95 CS convertible for more than a year before I glimpsed another one crossing an intersection in front of me about a month ago but the day before yesterday, I pulled into a Walgreen's parking lot (in my Impala) and parked next to a very well maintained CS coupe, white with a tan interior. It was a later model ('95-'97) with the redesigned interior but a base trim level with cloth bucket seats manual climate controls and no steering wheel controls for the radio or A/C. One curious feature that it had was the rear lip on the taillights and trunk lid, usually associated with the 3.4L DOHC engine option but with a single exhaust, indicating it had the 3100 engine. The backup light bezel was also black instead of body color and it lacked the "DOHC" badging on the font fenders. My guess it was a '97 model and they were using up some leftover parts as they were winding down production, which Oldsmobile often did in that era. I would have liked to talk with the owner but it was cold and rainy so I just admired it for a moment and went on my way. 

I don't see any of them around the Memphis area either, except in my driveway lol. All '97 coupes had the lip spoiler and taillights, regardless of trim level. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MemphisMan said:

All '97 coupes had the lip spoiler and taillights, regardless of trim level. 

Okay, that makes sense. I just wasn't sure what I was seeing. It was a nice car, though.

I own a very similar CS to the one you just described here in CT. I installed a rear lip spoiler & correct tail lights but getting back to your post, I've seen just one other one on the road in this area over the last few months, another white one. Sad.

Ive got a buddy with a white 92 that I see at the local AutoZone on occasion but other than that one I might have the only other 2 in Nashville. I doubt I`ll ever give them up unless someone offers a ridiculous amount.