3.1 MPFI (LH0) Exhaust Manifold Gasket

pitzel

Anyone done this job?  Replace the Exhaust Manifold Gaskets, without head removal?  

Factory manual wants the AC compressor removed to remove the mounting brace for the upper mounts.  Does the AC system have to be opened, or can the compressor just be put aside (but still remain attached to the pressurized system)?

Manifold bolts, are they prone to breaking in the aluminum heads?  Or was that just an artifact of other designs?  

Is it realistic to do the rears at all without pulling the plenum and the intake?  Just by rocking the engine forward? 

The leak isn't absolutely horrible at this point, and I drive mostly highway so the exhaust that gets sucked in through the A/C is pretty minimal, but just looking at the job, it seems that it could go sideways very quickly especially if bolts broke in the heads.  

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2019 at 4:10 PM, Jim_rockford_007 said:

Should be able to just set the compressor to the side, It mounts to the block anyway instead of the assy bracket. 

Yeah I finally found a YouTube video that showed that.  Should I buy studs to replace the ones on the exhaust manifold?  They're a few bucks on Rockauto, but I'd have to spin up a whole order...  Or $8 on Amazon.  Or take my chances at the local parts counter..